ar upper help!

Here is one I found that may work well. It's the LBC and it doesn't have the screwy threads that AA uses. Stainless 18" SPR with 5r rifling for a reasonable price doesn't sound all that bad.

264LBC

I wont lie,i looked at this and it didnt make much sence to me.if its not chambered for the "6.5 grendal",doesn't use the grendal bolt,if i understand it,it uses the 7.62x39 bolt?

I wont lie,i looked at this and it didnt make much sence to me.if its not chambered for the "6.5 grendal",doesn't use the grendal bolt,if i understand it,it uses the 7.62x39 bolt?
6.5 grendal/6.5LBC almost the same thing either load is safe for either rifle. LBC has a diffrent throat that is said to be better for hotter loads.

Les Baer Custom (LBC) created their own version of the 6.5 due to a trademark Alexander Arms obtained for the name "Grendel".

When it came time for AA to collect royalties from everyone making money off the Grendel chambering, LBC went and created their own chamber utilizing extremely similar dimensions, but distinguishably different in neck dimension and throat angle. (The LBC chambering has a tighter neck). Therefore, we have two chamberings capable of firing the same ammunition.

Most manufacturers shy away from even saying "Grendel" when talking about their 6.5 due to the legal ramifications. This may be the reason for using the 7.62x39 bolt. Either way, it doesn't matter which chamber you have. they will both perform similarly with the same ammunition. However, the tighter chamber of the LBC is better for brass life in the long run.

Brentc,

Lot of that out there these days, and it usually comes back down to somebody being stupidly defensive about trademarks. Once it's SAAMI standardized, it's out there. Those who want to control the market, and keep every penny of royalties to themselves, generally stiffle the growth of their own cartridge. With a very minor change here or there, and a new name, that same cartridge may well find itself the hottest new thing on the market. I can very well see a 6.5 LBC in my safe in the near future, and I already have a 300 AAC Blackout under construction. Whether I'll lever own a Grendal or a Whisper . . . doubtful. Fortunately, we now have affordable alternatives.

Brentc,

Lot of that out there these days, and it usually comes back down to somebody being stupidly defensive about trademarks. Once it's SAAMI standardized, it's out there. Those who want to control the market, and keep every penny of royalties to themselves, generally stiffle the growth of their own cartridge. With a very minor change here or there, and a new name, that same cartridge may well find itself the hottest new thing on the market. I can very well see a 6.5 LBC in my safe in the near future, and I already have a 300 AAC Blackout under construction. Whether I'll lever own a Grendal or a Whisper . . . doubtful. Fortunately, we now have affordable alternatives.

Agreed. It's going to be LBC for me as soon as my barrel shows up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.