AR Scope mount size

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by thumbs, May 12, 2014.

1. thumbs

thumbs Well-Known Member

I have a S&W sport. I want to mount a 44mm 1" scope on it. What height mounts do I need to get high enough so that the front sight won't interfere with the sight picture? Also if you can suggest a "reasonably" priced mount that would be great.

2. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

For reasonable priced mounts go with the p-223 from Nikon. That would be the right height. If that doesn't clear the front sight rings that will, will be so high that you won't get a check weld of any kind. Its like having a red dot on top which I do but offers no check weld.

3. Tulie

Tulie Well-Known Member

You can always use a "hi-rider" type base on the rail and then high or x-high rings or go with a Burris or the mentioned Nikon. Totally depends on you and how high or tight you want to hold your head.

4. notajeep

notajeep Well-Known Member

Keep the scope low, as in where ever your eye is at a natural cheek weld feel. Through most scopes that pesky front sight won't even be noticeable. Don't believe me, put a quarter on your scope lens and hold it there and look through the scope. Not an issue is it? Careful not to scratch your new scope!