AR COMP by Alliant

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by liltank, Oct 17, 2011.

1. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Anybody using this powder yet?

Tank

2. BIG MO

BIG MO Well-Known Member

Guess not Tank. Curious myself. I've got a jug of it I'm going to test run in my 6.5 lapua. Should get my hands on the new lapua this month. You thinking of giving it a try in your 308?

3. liltank

I have couple pounds of AR in the mail. Waiting for it to get here. I am going to run it in my .308 and see what it does. Hopefully it will work as well or better than the RL15 I currently use.

Tank

4. liltank

I just talked to a tech at Alliant. He said the burn rate of the AR Comp is between RL15 and Varget. That tells me that the 42.4 max grain weight for a 168 is a little conservative, but will start low just to be sure. I use 43 and 45 grains of RL15 with 175's, and have used 44 to 44.5 grains of Varget with 178's. But the 44.5 did show some pressure. Anyway, just thought I would share that with you.

Tank

5. liltank

Well here are the results. Granted I found a load .4 grains over the suggested max, and I didn't get the velocity I was hoping for.... I'm not going to complain.

Load: 42.8grn AR Comp, ES 4.5, SD 2.8, Avg. 2790

Off of a bench w/ bipod and rear bag. CTC .116" in a three shot group. I feel that should I have had 5 shot it probably would still be under .25" (assuming I didn't throw one:D).

[​IMG]

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Well to put it conservatively.... THAT DON'T SUCK!

When I get set up to start loading .260's I may talk to them and see if they have any loads worked up for it.

7. liltank

I should also mention that all my loads were within 26fps as an ES with this powder. I started at 41.5gr and worked my way up to 43.5. 43.5 gave me speeds of 2882-2908fps. The groups started to open up after my first accuracy node. I didn't continue because, who can complain about what I have? [​IMG] I'm most certainly not too concerned. Most of the groups were less than 1" at 100yds. I have one other group with 42.6grns that measures .361" That is with the cold bore. It is obviously the group before the keeper. I was watching them come together as the loads were changing.

Tank

8. BIG MO

BIG MO Well-Known Member

Nice! Very satisfying! Better grab a few more pounds of that same lot. LOL I will report on my luck with the 6.5 Lapua in about 2 weeks.

9. liltank

I forgot one minor detail on the load data: 168 NBT's.

Tank

10. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Great shooting!!! That Savage you built really came together! gun)

11. liltank

Yes it did. The great thing is that I can do that with a couple different bullets if the screw stays tight behind the recoil pad. That is the second .1 group that I have shot.

Tank

12. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I've been using AR Comp in my AR. I've found that it shoots better than most anything else I've tried before. I've also found that it shoots well in all the AR carbines I've tried it in, except one and an RRA Varmint AR. I'm averaging 1/2 to 3/4 moa in all except the one with at least a couple of bullets. None have been over 1.5 moa. Bullets have been the 77g and 52g SMK, Hornady 75g Amax and HPBT 53g Amax and 52Vmax.

13. liltank

Nice to hear somebody else is using it. Have you found the claim of being temp stable true?

Tank

14. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Haven't had the opportunity yet. Temps have been pretty much the same since I got it. I've only been using it for a month or so. But it sure shoots nicely.