AR-15 with my tax money...

Brother...if the round count on THAT rifle is fairly decent <2000, dont walk, RUN to the keyboard and lock that baby down...thats a decent starter set up for what you want to do...

Brother...if the round count on THAT rifle is fairly decent <2000, dont walk, RUN to the keyboard and lock that baby down...thats a decent starter set up for what you want to do...

2000 rounds is just broken in. If they were shot as fast as you can pull the trigger, might need a barrel and a bolt, the rest of it should run pretty nice.

2000 rounds is just broken in. If they were shot as fast as you can pull the trigger, might need a barrel and a bolt, the rest of it should run pretty nice.

If you have to replace the barrel or the bolt at 2k rounds you know you should have spent the extra $ and got a quality weapon.

If your looking for a used weapon try m4carbine.net, crap it really not tolerated over there

BCM guarantees their bolts for 15k
KAC says 19k on theirs
just for thought

'At the most' a bolt and a barrel. And like I said more than likely just broken in at 2000rds.

I try to replace the bolt when I replace the barrel, and always check headspace.

I would be willing to be that a 20" rock river arms predator pursuit rife would do everything he is asking and do it for much less than his 1500 dollar price point.

I would build from scratch and get everything you want. For $1500, you could basically get premium everything. There are a lot of quality barrels out there for under $400. You can purchase a geissele trigger and lower parts kit for about $200. Stripped lower and upper receivers can be had for under $100 each. I should also mention that a lower that is $150 or $200 is no better than one that is blemished and on sale for $60.

As for your barrel length, I would personally go with 20". I originally purchased a Bushmaster Varminter (24" barrel). Great gun, but the barrel is just too long for my needs. I want something that is fast handling and easy to carry. 20" is about the best all around length. With that said, I am planning on building an 18" gun for my go to gun. I already have my long, heavy gun for bench work and prairie dogs, and I have my carbines for playing around. I figure 18" is about right for me. But, to each their own.

Last edited:
Pwrdbycotn, now that's a fine looking AR ! It looks like just what I've been thinking about. Looks like I'll have to see what he'll do as just an upper. The picture is great; looks like one very big yote ! Charles

Pwrdbycotn, now that's a fine looking AR ! It looks like just what I've been thinking about. Looks like I'll have to see what he'll do as just an upper. The picture is great; looks like one very big yote ! Charles
I think you'll be very impressed with Scott's customer service and the incredible accuracy he gets from his builds. Thanks for the compliments. It took quite a while for me to decide exactly what I wanted but once I did it turned out better than I thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts