AR-15 Varmint Loads

Russ Vernon

Hi guys

I got back from a Wyoming praire dog shoot a couple of weeks ago. Man, what a hoot! After 30 years of wanting to go, I finally got a chance. Boys, if you ever want to have a LOT of fun, all I can say is, DO IT!

Now then, after shooting one of the other guys, I am going to build me a AR-15 heavy barrel varmint gun. Going to use the 1-14" twist and use 40-50 grain handloaded bullets. Do any of you have such a rig (or close to it) and have a favorite load? I got a few months to work up a load for it, but if any of you fellahs can give me a head start, it be much appreciated.

Ah, heh heh, let me clarify something. I did NOT shoot one of the guys, I shot one of the other guy's AR-15 rifles. No two legged varmints were injured or killed at all matter of fact. Thought I might better clear that up. Heh heh.

Russ

I have a double star ar15 with a 24'' bull barrel its 1-10 twist and loves the 50gr vmax bullets 26grs of benchmark.

I can't offer to much on the way of reloading info but if your gonna build a designated varmint gun on the AR platform why not chamber it for somthing differant like the 204 or 17Rem. if your dead set on the 223 as your round then I would recomend against the 1-14 twist just incase one day you see that the dogs at 500yds are laughing at you you can laugh back with a 69gr SMK !!
My AR is setup to shoot two legged varmints , I shoot the 55gr Hornady TAP ammo , the accuracy is awsome and it will reach out their a pretty good way , considering that the chances of me shooting at a hostile target past 100 feet let alone 100yds is slim to none

I have an ASA ar-15 with a 24" Lothar Bull bbl.
It has a 1:9 twist that I am told will stabilize the 75 gr match bullets. I know it will the 69 SMK's. It will also stabilize 40 gr v-max's and haven't had one come apart yet. I would go for a 1:9 or so because they are fun to use for practice at longer ranges. Mine also shoots the 55 gr v-max better than the 69 SMK, But then I am still looking for the right load combo for the 69.

Rusty, I shoot the cheapest 55gr soft points I can buy usually Winchester or Hornady bullets. I use Win 748 powder, and buy once fired mixed brass that has been deprimed and cleaned. 1000 brass about 35 bucks, 1000 bullets about 44 bucks when on sale. I have a 1-9 twist and these components produce MOA accuracy. The glory of it is one load for everything, and the 55gr sp is very pelt friendly.

Thanks for all the feedback. I already have a 17 Rem, a 204 Ruger, a 223 Rem bolt gun, a 220 Swift, a 243 Win, and if I really want to reach out there, a 264 Win mag. So you see, this is just for something different. If the dogs are out past 400 yards, I grab my Swift usually. At long range, it seems to be the one. That or the 243. Anyway, I want to use this on our local ground squirrels too where my shots will never be farther than 300 yards. I have shot them with the heavier bullets and the rodents will make it to their holes sometimes after being hit. This is not the case with a 40 grain HP or Vmax hit. They are exploded. So all hence the 40 and 50 grain bullets. Plus I am back on the target quicker with the lighter slugs as well. I do like to see the impacts.

Keep it coming! I appreciate all your inputs.

Russ

I too would not reccomend the 14 twist, in the AR platform, thats what I know most about, overstabilization doesn't seem to hurt accuracy, my 1/8 24" shoots 50's, 55's, and the 69's equally well. if I do my part it will shoot some of the cheap reman 55 gr ammo in the .2's. the 55's really work well to just past 400 yds ( have got 2 at 550)
JS

Thanks, but as I stated earler, this will be mostly for shorter range shooting. The 40 grain bullets will be almost all that I use. I have no need for a fast twist barrel.
By the way, I have shot prairie dogs at almost 500 yards with my 220 Swift with the 40 gain Vmax, and it really opened them up. I am thinking of taking no heavier load than the 40 grain next year for dog shooting. It really seems to do the job the way that I want it to. Hard to ask for more.

[ QUOTE ]
Now then, after shooting one of the other guys, I am going to build me a AR-15 heavy barrel varmint gun. Going to use the 1-14" twist and use 40-50 grain handloaded bullets. Do any of you have such a rig (or close to it) and have a favorite load? I got a few months to work up a load for it, but if any of you fellahs can give me a head start, it be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to Wyoming, 'tis fun but don't tell anybody.

Anyway, I shoot a custom AR chambered in .223 with a 26" cut-rifled barrel (fluted) with a 1:14 twist. Modifications include trigger job, custom floating steel handguard, custom gas port and rear stock. For a varmint rifle, you don't need a faster twist if you intend to shoot 55gr. bullets are lighter. LRT bullets work well in ARs with a fast twist but then, why punch holes when you can command hydrostatic detonation?

Anyway, I shoot 28.0gr. BLC2, remington match primers, LC brass, and Sierra 52gr. BTHP matchkings. Longest kill so far was at about 425 yards. This thing is a meat grinder though between 200 and 300 yards. It's almost unfair.

re5513

RRA Varmint with 24" 1/8 twist
50gr Sierra blitzking
27.5gr ramshot tac
cci small rifle primer
3315fps

Very explosive and accurate. Dumped a prairie poodle at 728yds this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I dont load for my AR's anymore for varmints. I shoot the Black Hills blue box 50gr vmax and it shoots awesome. I just cant justify the time and cost to reload for them when you can buy 50rds of this load for just under $20. In quantity it is a little cheaper.

I for one know what you're talking about. I built a dog slayer just about likr your talking about. ok..the specs.
24" Kreiger stainless heavy barrel 1-13 twist
Dpms aluminum lower(they make a stainless lower if you want it heavier)
Dpms high rise upper(w/extension for putting the scope forward for long eyerelief)
Royal Arms pistol grip w/ a beg palm swell
Jard single stage trigger @2lbs.( go w/ 2.5 or 3# spring as I get double taps now and then.
Talk to Frank white at Compass LLake engineering. He specializes in Service rifles (mostly 1-7 to 1-8 twists for 600 yard accuracy. He will sell you the barrel, free floet tube and a bolt headspaced to the min spec(tight chamber).
my favorite load is 40 gr ballistic tips over 28 gr h-335 in LC brass. Velocity averages 3700-3750 and accuracy under 1/2 @100 yards. The first time I found this load my barrel had about 500 rounds and I put 10 shots or so you could cover w/ a dime. The firepower is unbelievable w/ the 30 round mags. Out to 250 yards and little wind I've went 60 rounds w/o a miss. When the winds come up it gets intersting w/. the little 40 grainers, but even at 16 power scope I can see my hits through the scope. I have a lead wedge to stick in the stock bringing the rifle weight to around 13 lbs.
I love my AR. One day I'd like to biuld another upper assembly for a coyote walker/stalker. A 1-9 twist 20" barrel for the 55 and 60 grainers under a 3-9 scope. Shooting a running yote is a blast, but if the scope is too powerful its easy to lose sight after they take off.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.