Ar-15 JB-Weld Question

wstanton

Alright, so i built up an AR about a year ago, with a standard upper receiver. I used a Krieger barrel and a clarks custom carbon fiber handguard. Everything seemed great until I started shooting it. I've hand loaded most of the powder and primer combinations possible and am still not getting good accuracy. In my building of the AR, I think I may have torqued the upper when putting the barrel nut on it, easy fix would be to purchase a quality upper and switch them out right?

Unfortunately I used JB weld epoxy to glue the hand guard to the aluminum barrel nut, and I'm afraid that I will end up ruining both the handguard and upper if I try and remove it. Is there any hope at this point? Or just go to town..... and pick up a new upper and new hand guard?

Using rosin and a strap wrench, you should be able to take off the handguard, but keep the strap as close to the receiver as possible as that's where the full web of aluminum is on the barrel nut.

I'll have to give that a try, when I put the aluminum nut on the first time, I swear I broke about 4 cheap strap wrenches, ha just kept returning them and going at it again so that I could properly line up one of the gas tube holes.

Is there a good brand for strap wrenches that anyone has used with good success?

How come you think you torqued the receiver? does the bolt not slide correctly, does it not fit the lower right? Unless it is really off I would think something else is the accuracy problem. Who finished/chambered the barrel? I have cut many custom ar barrels and have never had accuracy problems with them, I have used quite a few cheaper uppers on the builds too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.