AR-15 Accuracy Help

As an update to this thread, I did get some match grade ammo (Privi, 75gr) and put 20 rounds through this rifle. I know that 75 gr is perhaps a bit on the high side for a 1:9 twist, but it's all I had access to...and they were all punching round holes in the target, so I assume there were no stability problems with them.

The bottom line is that thing MAY have tightened up a little but not a significant amount (still 2" - 3" at 100yds).

I took a look at the barrel and crown and I'm hoping I found the problem. I posted in a separate thread here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/how-bad-crown-43192/#post287095

Have a look and share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Even the best rifle can't shoot any better than the ammo being used. pmc ammo is junk. Try some better ammo before doing anything as drastic as changing barrels.

Thanks for all the replies. The barrel is 1:9, so in theory the 55gr should be ok. I guess I'll try some better ammo and see what happens.

On the "new barrel" suggestions, I'll need a new hand guard and gas tube as well as getting the bolt head-spaced...anything ellse? Would you just get a whole new upper?

I was going to attach some images, but I guess I don't know how...I'll figure that out and come back later with pics.
I'd call Carl at Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15

Tell him your needs and goals and get his input on the best and most economical route to go.

He does fantastic work at reasonable prices and has been doing this for a long time specializin in AR's and Mini's.

Just because the Privi ammo has match grade on the box don't mean it is. It has been my finding that their ammo is in the class of the PMC ammo. Get some GOOD ammo like Black Hills with the 69 gr Sierra Match King bullets. Midway USA has it.

As an update to this thread, I did get some match grade ammo (Privi, 75gr) and put 20 rounds through this rifle. I know that 75 gr is perhaps a bit on the high side for a 1:9 twist, but it's all I had access to...and they were all punching round holes in the target, so I assume there were no stability problems with them.

The bottom line is that thing MAY have tightened up a little but not a significant amount (still 2" - 3" at 100yds).

I took a look at the barrel and crown and I'm hoping I found the problem. I posted in a separate thread here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/how-bad-crown-43192/#post287095

Have a look and share your thoughts.

Thanks.
Seeing how bad that crown is I'd say call Carl at Fifle Accuracy Systems ASAP. I posted a link above. Have him lap the barrell and reciever before putting it back together as well thus ensuring they are squared properly.

It looks to me like a burr was left which laped over the grooves and when fired it tore the burr off.

Nothing you can do will make that barrel shoot until the crown is repaired.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.