Ar-10?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jbirdhunter, Dec 15, 2012.

1. jbirdhunter

jbirdhunter Member

So I'm in the market for an AR-10. mainly used for target shooting and possibly for hunting.(I mainly bow hunt) I'm strongly leaning tords the GA precision GAP-10. I want to reach out and touch something at a 1000y or longer. I want something with a 20"barrel or longer. The $2700 the gun is My limit. So my question is talk me into something different.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

AR-10 denotes Armilite rifles and no others its not a term covering all rifles of the ar pattern.

2700$ is a good budget, if I had that budget to play with, I would be looking at a Larue or a LMT rifle myself. I like the LMT due to is modularity, they offer 4 rounds in their rifle I would consider better for 1000yard targets than the standard 308 win. The 7mm-08, 260 rem, 6.5 creedmore and 243 win.

That said nothing wrong with the GAP for 2700$ but I would be happier with an MWS or an OBR etc. A 16" barrel will get you to 1k with the right bullet.

As far as LMT goes the website list the factory price but if you shop around 2400$ is avarage.
    .308 Modular Weapon System, 16" Chrome Lined - Firearms

With Larue the price is the price
    Rifles | LaRue Tactical

3. jehu

jehu Well-Known Member

With that budget I would get a custom bolt action to shoot 1000yds.

4. B4Dan

B4Dan Well-Known Member

So under forums where it says AR15/AR10, it means just one manufacturer! Anyway!

The POF brand seem pretty awesome, I would go with 20" also, anything against a bolt gun? Better hurry up if you do want a AR10! It's about to get stupid!

5. ICANHITHIMMAN

One manufacture? I would say trying to buy or build anything at this point is an exercise's in futility.

6. jbirdhunter

jbirdhunter Member

Yea, with a 6 month lead time I'm probably screwed. But I'm going to put a deposit down to get the ball rolling.

7. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Maybe. Wall mart had some. It's worth a look. lightbulb

8. ICANHITHIMMAN

I saw on the news walmart has suspended all gun sales

9. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Oh boy...Here we go. :rolleyes:

Remember the Clinton Gun Ban?