Ar-10 Reloading Question

snipes

Hey guys, i have a dpms .308 w/ a 18" hb that shoots 110g vmax at 50 yrds reloaded w/ win 748 47.4 g at .45 moa, im looking to go to 400+ yrds, my question is what load pref. should i go w/, i like the vmax but should i go w/ a 178g vmax moly that i have or 168 sierra hpbt? and what powder is recom. and load, i know there are a million loads and powders and every gun is different, just looking to get there so i can tweak it later, thanks

Hey guys, i have a dpms .308 w/ a 18" hb that shoots 110g vmax at 50 yrds reloaded w/ win 748 47.4 g at .45 moa, im looking to go to 400+ yrds, my question is what load pref. should i go w/, i like the vmax but should i go w/ a 178g vmax moly that i have or 168 sierra hpbt? and what powder is recom. and load, i know there are a million loads and powders and every gun is different, just looking to get there so i can tweak it later, thanks
There's no reason why you can't get to 400yds with what you have.

Give it a try and see if you can still hold the sub MOA groups.

If accuracy falls off then worry about switching to a higher bc heavier bullet.

That's what I'd do anyhow. When I find something that works well I tend to stick with it.

thanks rose, i just wasn't sure if the 110g would hold up at the longer ranges esp. over 500+, prob. is i just ran out of 748, always like that, if you have an ar10, i posted another quest. about the trigger, i see rra has a nm and they said that it fits in their 308s, but they didn't know if it would fit the dpms, i know that timney has one for 223 and one for 308, thanks again ryan

thanks rose, i just wasn't sure if the 110g would hold up at the longer ranges esp. over 500+, prob. is i just ran out of 748, always like that, if you have an ar10, i posted another quest. about the trigger, i see rra has a nm and they said that it fits in their 308s, but they didn't know if it would fit the dpms, i know that timney has one for 223 and one for 308, thanks again ryan
Can't answer that. I don't like the NM 2 stage trigger so I put the JP trigger group in mine.

Beyond 500yds I'd say you'll most likely need to move up the 160-168gr range to get the precision you are hoping for but then of course you are going to have to give up quite a bit of velocity.

figured, i m around 3050fps, fig. id have to drop to 2600ish, at 400 using a leupold fine dot, i m sure gonna have to am a bit high, thanks again

The RR MN should fit in your DPMS. I have an R-25 which is a DPMS. It fits and works great. I did put a reduced power spring kit to take the pull down from 4.5 to 3.5#.

Have seen good accuracy at that range with 45 gr of Varget with 168 SMK for targets, 165 gr Ballistic Tips or 165 SST's for good expansion on game at that range. Should put you between 2600 and 2700 fps. Getting .5-1MOA with these loads. I think 110's might be too light at that distance if you get any kind of wind.

I put the RRA 2 stage in my DPMS LR308.

The uppermost corner of the hammer was draging on the bolt carrier. Took the hammer out again, couple strokes of the file on that point, and it works great. I use 2 stage triggers in my competion AR, and I like them.

The stock trigger in the LR was like dragging a cement block on a gravel road.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts