AR-10 in the works!

Kevin Thomas

Finally, after a few false starts, we (the Lewis and Clark Shooters Association) have started building some AR-10s for 1,000 yard competition. No pics just yet, but then, there's not much to see so far. Have the uppers and lowers, and a bunch of assorted parts. The barrels haven't been made yet, but that should be in progress very shortly. I think we have one guy who choose DPMS, while the rest of us have gone with Armalites.

Being intended for competition under the NRA's Service Rifle rules, these will need to match the Army's specs for their M110s, used in some SDM roles and other specialized applications; 20" barrels, flat tops with detachable carrying handle sights, front gas block and equipped with a four-sided Picatinny railed fore-end, standard GI pistol grip, standard stock and a 4.5 lb trigger. Chambered for the 7.62x51, we're hoping to have these up and running for Perry, 2013.

Looking forward to shooting these!

Check out the second article on AR-10's in the link below:

USAMU Teams Set 1K Records at Interservice Championships « Daily Bulletin

The US Army Marksmanship Unit was smart enough to figure out something to equal the accuracy and wind bucking abilities of the 7.62 NATO chambered Garands and M1A's that were out scoring the 22 caliber service rifle variants at 1000 yards. I've talked with one of the ex USN Rifle Team members who's won the service rifle long range matches at the Nationals and he said all sorts of folks wanted to know how in the heck his old M1 did better than the mouse guns. He said it was more the cartridge than the rifle. As the US Army no longer had any M14NM's in stock to shoot the 7.62 round, convincing the NRA to allow AR10's in competition as a service rifle was they only way they could do well.

Too bad service rifles have to use post front sights and a 4.5 pound trigger pull; biggest reason the service rifle scores were not as high as the scope-sighted, few-ounce-trigger bolt gun scores. But it's a feather in Remington's hat their 7mm SAUM cartridge did so well.

What load will be used in your AR10's 20-inch barrels to keep bullets supersonic past 1000 yards in the thick air at Perry during the Nationals? The USAMU used Berger 185's in their AR10's but I've no idea what was used to push it out. 'Twas probably a stiff load close to or at blue pill pressures; the USAMU's been doing that with the 7.62 since the 1960's but so did the USN, USMC and USAF teams.

This is where we start;

Attachments

• post Perry, AR-10 041.jpg
    post Perry, AR-10 041.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 126
And the flip side. Should be getting the lower parts shortly, and the barrels are being drilled right now.

Attachments

• post Perry, AR-10 044.jpg
    post Perry, AR-10 044.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 115
Appreciate the prompting here, too! You're right, no big deal on the pics, just had to read the instructions and there they were. Keep you posted as this thing develops further. Should be getting the lower parts kits back from Steve shortly, and still need to get a trigger, but will have it assembled shortly thereafter. The barrels are in progress, and should be coming together within the next few weeks.

Some more parts arrived, so I should be able to complete most of my lower tonight. Soime parts for the upper arrived as well, but we're still waiting on the free float tube and some other small parts.

Movin' forward, and that's a good thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.