AR-10 Bolt head issue

Ok, reread the 1st post. Again! I wonder if inadvertently the shooter while griping the mag/magwell with left hand had pushed on the catch and caused it to move up (like it was catching the bolt) and bent it enough for it to have this issue? I would replace the catch, catch pin, spring and spring pin just to get rid of all involved hardware. Some oversized catches hit against the upper and doesn't stay in the down position. Try a new catch and do a temp install with the catch and catch pin only, so you can check for ease of movement with upper attached and bcg removed (so you can visually check inside also).

I think if I understood him correctly, it's an intermittent failure to or premature lock back. That is why we suspected everything from an incorrect buffer to an improperly installed bolt release.

The bolt release is there for one function, lock the bolt back on an empty magazine to make magazine swaps more efficient.

It either works or it doesn't, anything added is simply to make that easier or faster.

That doesn't take into account the failure of the operator to properly use the device.

Last edited:
That's a phase5 ambi bolt release, not a BAD lever (which is an ambi also).
Yes, you are right. It is not a BAD lever. Accomplishes the same thing tho, only better. It doesn't have the amount of slop in it that the clamp on style BAD lever does. They both allow manipulation of bolt catch/release from either side of the lower.

I will also add that AP parts are great, especially in 6.5creed! Those are the only barrels I've used and found that run perfect with standard rifle length gas system, standard weight buffer and spring! No primers pop even without an AGB. I've bought 5 other barrel manufacturer of 6.5creed with standard and +2 gas systems. From high dollar PR barrels to lower cost faxon. All have been a pain to tune properly except for the AP barrels. I wish they made a 260rem barrel!