APS PainKiller (PK) Slim brake

Varmint Hunter

I've been shooting my 300RUM for some time now without any real problem in dealing with the recoil. However, when shooting the 210-240gr bullets at top velocities the scope has just brushed my eyebrow one too many times for comfort.

Sooo..... over the winter I sent the custom Broughton barreled action out to Kirby for the installation of one of his PK brakes. While he has several sizes that would have worked, I chose the "Slim" version for its less obtrusive appearance. I assumed that its effectiveness would have been reduced along with its size and number of baffles.

I finally got out today and fired the rifle. First round was a 220gr SMK over a near max load of H1000. When the hammer dropped and the recoil pulse ended, my first reaction was that the cartridge had been undercharged somehow. One quick look at the printout on the Oehler 35 told me that just wasn't the case. I fired an additional 5 rounds and can honestly say that this rifle recoils LESS than my .308win. It's hard to believe, but that is how I see it.

There is no comparison between this PK brake and the Vais brake which I've used previously on other rifles. The PK is just unbelievable. As far as increased blast - I did not notice any increase in noise from my position, but did feel a slight pulse of air moving my hair. Like most braked rifles, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to stand on the side of the shooter if a PK braked rifle is being fired.

Kirby did a great job on the installation and his brake works FAR better than I would have believed to be possible. While I prefer unbraked rifles for hunting, todays big magnums made me rethink the issue and I'm glad I did.

Glad you liked it. The PK brake is awesome and is the best I've ever had when it comes to reducing recoil. I've got one on myl 7mm AM and shooting full power 200 grain Wildcat loads, the gun just sits there.:)

All day in a T-shirt is no problem with the PK and I never noticed any increase in noise. In fact, to me, it's a little softer sound but I wear hearing protection whenever shooting so it's no big deal.

Just sent Kirby a email need a break BAD hopefully we can talk via phone I hate typing cause I hen peck. Very interested for the New "Slim" 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake for my custom 300wsm that thing whoops my tail being a litlle bit over 6lbs scoped.

Glad she is working well or you. THey have turned out to be even better then I expected them to perform, especially on the larger magnums with high muzzle gas volume.

Just as a side note, I was charging a bit extra for the "slim" PK but they will now be the standard price as the medium 3 port PK starting next month.

Glad she is working well or you. THey have turned out to be even better then I expected them to perform, especially on the larger magnums with high muzzle gas volume.

Just as a side note, I was charging a bit extra for the "slim" PK but they will now be the standard price as the medium 3 port PK starting next month.

Kirby I sent you a email from my work email address on your "Slim" 3 port Painkiller for my 300wsm and have not heard from you I sent email twice thinking there was a problem. Trying to make sure the question I asked on the material between the break body and barrel can be milled to match barrel muzzle. Do I need to resend email or can I call you. I'm interested in the break if you want to sell me one.

I have 2 different .257 Wby mag rifles, one with a slim PK brake, one not braked. Like what others have posted, they are 2 different critters. The unbraked one will hike the bipod leg an inch or so off of the bench due to rifle torque, while the braked one just sits there. I'd say a 40% to 50% reduction in recoil, and the braked .257 is a pound less in weight than the unbraked rifle.

Thanks again Kirby. I still have my fingers crossed on the 7mm AM.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.