• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED APS Heavy V-Block 338 ALLEN XPRESS for sale

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Hey guys, This rifle has been sitting in my safe for around 5 years not getting any action. Originally, this rifle had a 1.350" straight cylinder , 34" Lilja chambered in 338 Kubla Kahn. I had put 2000 rounds though that barrel so around 4 years ago I had ordered a custom contoured Lilja barrel to put some new legs under this rifle.

I decided to draw up a new custom contour that has an 8" shank length of 1.350" in diameter and then the barrel straight tapers down to roughly 0.875". The reason for this barrel design was that I was kind of tired of packing a 30 lb class rifle to the bench. Its not a huge issue but I often took lighter rifles to the field instead of this heavy rifle just because they were easier to move around. Plus, taking some muzzle weight off the rifle it would sit more solidly in the bag and rest.

Well, last week I decided it was time to machine the new barrel to the rifle so I took a couple late evenings after work and fitted the new barrel and chambered it in my 338 Allen Xpress. I chose this chambering simply because it will match the performance of the 338-378 and 338 Kahn, do so with 8-10 grains less powder and do so with much better brass that costs less then the Wby brass and it offers longer brass life as well. Add to that the option to shoot standard 338 Lapua ammo through the rifle, it was just a better choice then the big Wby case.

Here are some pics of the rifle followed by specs:

DSC00406_zpsb036ed8b.jpg

I took the rifle out with a few customers rifle that I had to accuracy test and tested it at 1095 yards. I did not have any brass formed up for this rifle so I simply loaded up 20 rounds of 338 Lapua ammo to the following specs:

300 gr Berger Hybrid
92.0 gr Retumbo
Virgin 338 Lapua brass
Fed-215 primer
3.860" OAL

Took three shots to get point of impact to match up with point of aim at roughly 1100 yards and then let the barrel cool. After that, well, I will not say I was suprised but the rifle shot as well as I would expect it to shoot using fully formed, full power loads, it easily met my 1/2 moa accuracy potential requirement and it did so with fireforming loads.

I will be developing a full pressure load using formed brass as well so the buyer will get this load data at no cost.

DSC00407_zpsfca1de75.jpg

Here you can see the dual flute pattern of the custom contoured V-Block barrel I drew up for this rifle. Give it a unique look.

DSC00408_zpsee813471.jpg

DSC00409_zpsfaa0a4e6.jpg

This picture shows how the barrel is held solidly into the 8" aluminum V-Block that is bedded into the forend of the MBR Tooley 1000 yard stock. There are three 1/4x28 tpi bolts that are threaded directly into the barrel and pull the barreled receiver solidly down into the V-Block.

The only part of the barreled receiver that touches the stock is where the barrel contacts the V-Block and also where the conventionally located Recoil lug contacts the stock. From the recoil lug back, the receiver is 100% free floated turning the receiver basically into a nonstress componant item of the rifle. Likewise, the barrel ahead of the V-Block is freefloated.

A couple of the main benefits of this design is that it retains the clean lines of a conventional rifle design but offers DRAMTIC barrel stiffness and rigidity. For example, this 32" barrel has the same barrel stiffness as a 24" barrel of roughly a #8 contour. That is one stiff barrel. This is because the first 8" of barrel length are supported by the solid aluminum V-Block and the very strong 1.350" shank diameter offers extreme support to the unsupported section of barrel.

This is a single shot rifle designed for bench use or at least to be fired off a front and rear rest. I prefer a front mechanical rest and rear bag.

Here is the spec list for this rifle:

APS 338 AX Heavy V-Block
338 AX chambering
Fully blueprinted Rem 700 Chrome-Moly Long action
Bolt face opened up to Lapua BF diameter
Sako extractor kit installed
Custom machined aluminum single shot insert bonded to receiver
After market Striker assembly for decreased lock time
Holland Comp recoil lug
Lilja custom contour SS, 32" barrel, 1-10 twist
Dual flute pattern
11 degree target crown
APS medium Painkiller muzzle brake
Bead Blast matte finish on barrel/brake
McMillan MBR Tooley 1000 yard stock in Carolina Sunset color pattern, blue to purple marble finish
APS custom 8", 3 mounting bolt V-Block system
V-Block bedding to stock
Rifles Basix match trigger
338 Allen Xpress custom loading die set

Now, if someone were to call me up today and order a rifle just like this, the total price quote today for this rifle would be $4950 plus shipping to FFL. This would include accuracy testing at a minumum of 1000 yards to prove rifle met my 1/2 moa accuracy potential requirement.

For this project however I am going to take a full $1000 off the price and ask $3950 + shipping to your FFL.

I am not including shipping for a couple reasons. Mainly because there is an option to include a kalispel type aluminum hard case which is 61" in length and is perfect for these very long heavy rifles but they do cost quite a bit. The good thing is that they will last forever.

Also there is an option to include 100 rounds of formed 338 AX brass so you can get out and shoot the rifle with no need to fireform brass first.

If someone wants the scope package that I have on the rifle currently which is a Super Sniper 16x with Burris base and Signature 30mm rings and a scope level. Lots of options so here is a list of different options and asking prices for each:

Rifle/dies alone with economy shipping case.....................$3950+shipping

Rifle/Dies/100 formed brass...........................................$4300+shipping

Rifle/Dies/Brass/SS scope..............................................$4600+shipping

Rifle/Dies/Kalispel aluminum hard case.............................$4450
(includes case, shipping and insurance cost)

Rifle/Dies/Kalispel case/100 brass....................................$4800
(includes shipping and insurance cost)

Complete turn key system with all above and SS scope......$5100
(includes shipping and insurance cost)

Just to give you an idea what total package price would be today for new order, it would be $6300 for the turn key system so asking a price with $1200 savings. Now this is asking price, I am open to offers but looking for cash sales and no trades. All practical offers will be considered.

Would also consider 50% deposit to hold rifle and balance due within 3 months of initial payment. Rifle would ship after receiving second and final payment.

As always, first come first serve.

Thanks guys.

Alright guys, lets simplify this,

Rifle/Dies/100 round of formed brass/ shipped to your FFL.................$4000

Thats a $1500 off regular price.

If you want the Super Sniper scope installed in pictures, new price.......$4300

Really nice rifle goes without saying... What does it weigh as it sits now? So just a handful of rounds down this new barrel correct? I assume the action takes 8-40 screws to affix the base? Is it also pinned?
I'm interested.

Right now as it sits 21 lbs.

There are 12 rounds down the barrel at this point. Generally, I can get a load developed in under 30 rounds down the bore. Mainly because I already have proven loads for the 338 AX that have proven to be great performers over a wide range of rifles.

The base is fitted with the standard Rem 700 6-48 screws and is not pinned. On a rifle this heavy, there really is no need to pin or use the larger base screws. The reason is that the recoil velocity is relatively slow and the negative G forces generated by the PK muzzle brake are low enough that there is not alot of stress on the scope mounting system. Certainly not like there would be on a lighter rifle.

Now, if you wanted to put a heavy scope on this rifle, it would be a good idea to use a rail base such as a Nightforce one piece rail which has a mechanical recoil lug build into it that controls shear forces generated by recoil. Again, with the added weight of a heavy scope, the negative G forces generated by the PK muzzle brake will be dampened even more so there should be no issue there.

That said, if you want the rifle converted to 8-40s and base pinned, certainly can make that happen, would just cost a bit more for the modifications.

What a great rifle. Congrats to the new owner. Just a little too heavy for me.