Appropriate power level scope for 300 wm, also what reticle?

tnolly

I just bought a Savage 116 in .300 win mag. I'm looking for a scope that'll work well. I'll probably be using it for white tails and mulies out to about 500 yards, possibly target shooting further than that. I've been thinking about a Nikon buckmaster in 4.5-14 x 40.
I'm also not sure about the reticle. The BDC appeals to me as I haven't done much hunting, but I've seen the complaints that the circles are too big. I'm looking for a good system for learning long distance shooting and reliable holdovers.
Any help is appreciated.

Tnolly. I can tell you what I just did, but keep in mind it's not the most experienced opinion you will get on this. I purchased the VX-III 4.5x14x40 LR with the B&C reticle. I wanted something mounted low on the gun and lightweight. The B&C reticle should be good for 500 yd shots without adjusting but with the 30 mm tube I will be able to upgrade to adjustable turrets and have a fair amount of adjustment. I will do this as my experience grows. The optics on this scope are very nice and the price wasn't too bad either. As good of a scope as this is, I know there are others that are much nicer, maybe some day I will move up to that class of scope, but for now this will do.

tnolly and moman have it pretty much correct.

A variable with a max magnification of 14/15/18 is more than plenty for most LRH.

A min magnification of 3/4.5 rather than 6.5 is really great for walking from camp to the "spot" when one of the less than lucky animals appears.

If thinking ahead, as you will get there sooner than you think if you hang around here;), target turrets and side focus would make a great initial investment. Thus the scope wouldn't be replaced at some later date but will stick w/the family for generations.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.