This is True Free Range Aoudad hunting at its finest in far west Texas
z4.jpg

z5.jpg

westledge.jpg

z1.jpg

4d35inchramOctober2010.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

joshfohn.jpg

Looks like I am on the site with the answers! Was wondering if anyone has hunted NM for Barbary? I actually joined this website in preperation for the upcoming hunt. I can hunt units 31, 32, 34, 36, 37 and if anyone has any info on areas with decent concentrations. I have never hunted them but have heard they are tough animals and hard to get up on. I will be packing a 300RUM with 200gr accubonds at 3100 is this a good choice or not? Any thing you guys can tell me about Barbary hunting would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like I am on the site with the answers! Was wondering if anyone has hunted NM for Barbary? I actually joined this website in preperation for the upcoming hunt. I can hunt units 31, 32, 34, 36, 37 and if anyone has any info on areas with decent concentrations. I have never hunted them but have heard they are tough animals and hard to get up on. I will be packing a 300RUM with 200gr accubonds at 3100 is this a good choice or not? Any thing you guys can tell me about Barbary hunting would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the site. The link below should take you to plenty of info on hunting them. Its a long read, but full of good info. Good hunting.

Aoudad Hunting

You should call the game and fish in that area or wardens, they are typically very helpul in NM to point you in the right direction. There were alot of spot fires in that country that will change the hunting this year so be and sure you get there opinion on where to start hunting.

Thanks for the info guys both great suggestions! I am trying to decide on bullet choice I have 185bergers and 200 accubonds, form my 300 RUM. Both shoot equally well but I have never shot anything bigger than a coyote with any berger bullet. I heard these sheep are tough, but is it matter of hide, bone structure or different positioning of the vitals or just plain will not give up. I shot in Oryx in NM in 08 and saw guys pumping round after round into them with little affect because the vital are so much lower.

MTGunner, How did the hunt go with Toby Jo? Toby Jo is a friend of mine......Did he keep it oh the right side of the fence? LOL Just kidding, it is a joke between us.

There are some great sheep pics on here as well as sheep country. It is a great adventure hunting these guys in the Glass or Davis mountains of West Texas. I hunt a ranch outside of Marathon several times a year. The land owner dislikes having them on his place and asks us to shoot every one we see......I will be back there on the 22 of this month to hike those mountains again! Cant wait!

Here are some pictures from this spring hunt.
IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0484.jpg

Thanks,

Yes pretty fortunate to get to hunt this ranch. I wish I could take my hunting buddy there with me but have ot gotten the opportunity to get him in on it yet. Headed back there on the 22nd to do it again! I will post a full story when I get back.

Taking multiple rifles but plan on hunting with two new rifles in particular. A different rifle each day, unless I am still keen to cary the 17 1/2 lb 375 AM on day two in the mountains. If I am up to carrying it on day two my plan is to use the 375 AM the entire hunt. The rifles I am going to use on this hunt are A 375 Allen Magnum with 350 SMK's built by Kirby Allen. and a 338 Edge with Berger 300g Gen 2 Hybrids, built by Greg Tannell. Once you leave the truck there is no returning to change rifles until your day of hunting is over or dark sets in.......No roads except at the base of the mountains. After that it is up hill and on foot the entire hunt.

This hunt really gives a guy a chance to get a lot of trigger time at actual big game and really learn how to use your rifle under field conditions.

Hello everyone! Well I am a New Mexico resident. I have never actually seen a barbary sheep even though it is within our lottery draw. We also have an over the counter tag for it as well. I tend to hunt in the northern region of the state and from what I understand they hang out in the southern portion and in scattered pockets. I decided I wanted to give it a try this winter. I failed to draw a tag so I am going to buy an over the counter tag. I am trying to find an area to start looking. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know there are several people who hunt the Carlsbad area. Several hunters have taken goats in that area, just call Game and Fish and they will point you in the right direction. There are also some just SW of Rowell, but you need to contact someone in that area that knows public from private land and where they hang out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.