Anyone with real world experience with a plain OL' 270/300 Ultra?

strictlyRUM

Anyone with real world experience with a plain OL\' 270/300 Ultra?

I was wondering if anyone had real velocities for the 270/300 ultra and how much advantage there may be going with an improved version. I want to shoot the 195s or 169s. Ive got a 30in 9.25 twist heavy fluted barrel on its way. I have 300 ultra brass and S-type dies with comp seater. I was wondering if anyone had just used the bushings to size down brass and order a different cone for the seater to use the smaller bullets for the .277? If I have to buy all new dies I might as well go improved right? I have a 300 reamer that Dave Kiff will be altering. I was just wondering if this situation sounds like something someone may have done before. Any help greatly appreciated. I will be doing the work myself and I am on a budget. This is why I am not having an Allen Mag built. Someday when I get ritch I will have the master do the work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Jason

Re: Anyone with real world experience with a plain OL\' 270/300 Ultra?

Basically with do anything the 7mm RUM will do with same weight bullets.

Improving the RUMs is fine but remember that feeding will be a bit choppy, this is why I did not go with a true 40 degree angle on my Allen Magnums but they are still a bit choppy feeding unless you use a center feed magazine system.

I would say you could expect 75 fps incease in velocity over the standard RUM chamber.

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: Anyone with real world experience with a plain OL\' 270/300 Ultra?

I haven't used anything heavier than 150gr in my 270/300Rum.
Used 135Mk and 150sst mainly, sticking with the heavier here the past few years.
With 30" barrel I was pushing the 135mk @3750 using 102gr of WC872 and the 150sst @3450 using 95gr 5010. I would suggest staying with a ball powder vs 5010. The 5010 buring very hot has taken its tole on the barrel. The bullets have to be set way out there to reach the rifling now. Oh well! Can't say I wasn't warned about using 5010. But I would be very interested in seeing your results with the 195gr bullet. I think I'll have to try'em before setting the barrel back. See if I can regain some of the lost accuracy by using a bullet with a longer bearing surface. Or maybe that's just wishfull thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.