• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Anyone using Hex-Boron nitride bullet coating?

Litehiker

Over on the 6.5 Creedmoor site some are using Hbn coating instead of moly di-sulfide because it gives better velocity and barrels run cooler (due to less friction, I imagine).

Anyone here using Hbn?

I'm likely going to try it. The word is that the lowest cost good tumbler is a dual drum tumbler from Harbor Freight for around $60.
And BBs are needed to add to the Hbn powder to mix things up for more thorough coating.

There is a thread on this at the 6.5 Creedmoor site.

If you are using Hbn what's your source for the powder?

Eric B.

There have been some lengthy threads on this topic in the past, but nothing too recent that I remember. I have started using it. I haven't used it enough to give you much specific data, unfortunately. I can tell you that it does indeed reduce pressure, allowing you to use a bit more powder.

To apply it to the bullets I just use a regular vibratory case tumbler. I'm not sure if a rotary tumbler would work or not. You need a good amount of energy to impact plate the bullets. Here's what I do: I make sure the bullets are clean and free of oily residue, and I heat them in a 180 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then they go into a plastic pill bottle with about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp HBN (fairly large pill bottle), and straight into the tumbler. I don't use any media, just place the bottle in the tumbler. After about 90 minutes they're coated. Some people use BBs but I never have.

HBN is also an excellent neck lube for seating bullets. I put a little on a Q-tip and apply it inside the neck.

WS2 (tungsten disulfide) has similar properties to HBN. It makes the bullets turn black, which is pretty cool, but it can also be messier due to the black color. HBN is white and leaves the bullets looking kind of frosty.

e.m.,

thanks for the info. I have a vibrating tumbler for case cleaning. I may get the Harbor Freight two drum tumbler to keep the case cleaner clean of Hbn powder in case the plastic jar of bullets and Hbn leaks or opens up. What's your experience with that?

Eric B.

I use HBN, you should google how to coat it and watch Jeff's (Broz) video on how to do it. I initially bought the Tubbs Kit, but have since bought the powder from Bulletcoatings.com. I'll tell ya, once you watch Jeffs video and see the components involved, you can put yourself a kit together a lot cheaper. It's basically a oversized pill bottle, some BBs and some Hex powder. I got enough powder for thousands of bullets from Bulletcoatings.com.
And... To me, it's well worth it...

I use the single drum from Hong Kong Freight with SS pins. I tried a bunch of other methods, the vibratory, steel BB's, etc. but the HBN wouldn't stick correctly, I could rub it off with my fingers. It needs to have a bit of an impact so I found if I cut a small block of wood and put it in the rotary tumbler the bullets don't just lay in the bottom and roll, but actually get halfway up the wall and tumble down. HBN on ebay is ~$10 as well as a pound or so of pins(I can mail some to you if you want, a handfull is enough). The hollow point will clog and you will need a jewelers drill/pin vise for a small drill to clear them if hunting. The HBN does a few things; reduces friction will will reduce your speed for a given charge(less friction=less pressure), seems to lower the cold bore ES, and keep the bullet jacket from binding/electrolysis to the brass case(on ammo that has set for a while) giving higher ES. Also swab the inside case neck with Imperial case wax, it seems to help. Strip your barrel and coat the bore also, the 3 I did clean easier. There is a long thread on Long Range Only forum as well as a "How To" video. I know I'm leaving out some stuff but that the thick of it.
Edit; use at least 95% isopropyl alcohol, pharmacies seem to have it
hBN bore treatment?

How To Video ON Hex Boron Nitride by Jeff Brozovich

MICROLUBROL 1/2 oz HEXAGONAL BORON NITRIDE hBN Powder ULTRA FINE 0.5 µ micron | eBay

Attachments

• 20170212_2032350.jpg
    20170212_2032350.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170212_203227.jpg
    20170212_203227.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 14
Great David Tubb video on HBN. I think I'll use his method of tumbling the bullets and HBN inside a plastic bottle in my vibrating case cleaner.

But THANKS very much for the inexpensive source for ultra fine HBN. I'm sure that's what Tubb uses but it's far less money than theTubb kit. I already have that plastic jar and vibraor so I'm halfway there.

Eric B.