Anyone used a golf rangefinder?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Wheatgerm, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Wheatgerm

Wheatgerm Well-Known Member

Im new to the forum so I don't know if I posted this in the right section. Sorry if I did...

I've been looking for a range finder that will read out to atleast 800 yards for a while but don't want to spend much. In my local classifieds there is a Bushnell 1600 pinseeker for pretty cheap. I was just wondering if anyone has uses similar finders for their hunting?
    To me it would seem as if it should work fine, they are designed to pick up a tiny flag pole at sometimes 500+.
    to me yardage is yardage but I don't know if they are set up differently for a golf ball vs a bullet? Any input would be great thanks!

2. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

They're essentially the same rangefinder with different markings. If you buy it, verify how to switch the internal settings from ranging the closest single object it sees (i.e. a flag) to ranging the furthest object it sees. You will want to know how to go both directions anyway.

I bought a Nikon Callaway rangefinder 1 1/2 years ago and it works great.

3. Wheatgerm

Wheatgerm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input! For 90$ I would think its worth a try

4. markday

markday New Member

I was able to change my setting on my range finder and I'm able to use it for golf and hunting. I'm glad because I didn't want to have to fork out $150 for two range finders that have the capability to work for both. I found this site Best Golf GPS Range Finders 2013 and I bought the Bushnell tour V3 model and it's worked great.