Anyone use IMR 4831 in their 6mm Ackley?

Tyler Kemp

I came across a free pound of the stuff and am looking for loads for bullets in the 75-105 grain range. Sites vary wildly, I want a fast load but not an unsafe one. Maybe a quickload user could help.

Tyler,
I use 44 to 44.5gn of IMR4831 in my Win M70 HVB in .243Win. to push 85gn pills about 3150fps. She shoots great! JohnnyK.

I shot some 87 grain Vmaxes with 48 grains IMR4831 behind them. No pressure signs, shot about an inch at 100. I'll keep going until I see pressure signs!

Reply to Iron Worker

I shot some 87 grain Vmaxes with 48 grains IMR4831 behind them. No pressure signs, shot about an inch at 100. I'll keep going until I see pressure signs!

Iron Worker,
You said it would not work in his rifle. Looks like it's shooting ok for him. Why would it not work?

Just kidding around

I need a free can of powder. I shoot a 6x284 56.5grs of H4831 SC is giving grate accuracy with 87gr V-max at 3500 FPS. I'm trying to reach 3,600 with out pressure signs. I've 3,550 with 56.5 grs of Re#22 but I also have a shinning ejector mark and a slightly lose primer pocket. So those are classic pressure signs. Tomorrow I'll be using Accurate Mag Pro so far 58.5grs produces great accuracy but low 3,495 FPS. Also going to try a magnum primer with IMR 7828 . Hopefully my rifle won't be bomb tomorrow.

How would you have survived back in the 60-70's with-out the internet. And building custom guns and wildcating all these cartridges that we have now ? 4831 is an old army powder LC used and so on , and so on. Back then a chronograph was a big thing--these days every-one that is a serious handloader has one. Heck I have a Lab and love it. Do wish I had one back then playing with the wild cat rounds.
all my custom dies were made the same time the chambers were cut./ test fired- NO PROBLEM .
Realize its a little late on this topic but may help some of the younger players- HANDLOADER anyone can be a reloader !!!!!