Anyone use a 8mm/RUM or 8mm/378 WBY

I agree w/ Tyler, shoot the 300. If you have not shot one of these large rifles before, it will give you a warm fuzzy feeling and you will just have to grin.

Steve

PS I click these faces and all they do is show up by the title line.

Use the Smilies to the right of the reply box. The ones down at the bottom are to put an icon next to your post.

So you guys think it would be worth trading the .325 WSM ? I cant have both, so says the Fiancee` since we are getting married in May. The Savage model 14 American Classic is a great looking gun, I hate to see it go. BUT, I do love my .300 Win Mag Ruger, and can only imagine how much fun the RUM's are.

The recoil is going to be fierce unless you have a brake. Definetly make sure your scope has a fair amount of eye relief. Other than that, go for it!

Ditto...on what Tyler says.

Definitely invest in a good muzzle-brake!!!

Who knows...you might even want to re-barrel it later, to a .338 RUM........or a .338 Edge!!!

Whoo-hoo!!!

Talk about a shoulder-killer!!!

Went to look at that .300 RUM. Its not in the greatest of condition. Wood shows wear, and there is some slight rust in a few places. But it has the engraved reciever and floorplate, which I dont care for. Had a front sight on it, and someone put brass screws in the holes. Also has a Bushnell Banner scope on it.

He was wanting my Savage and some cash, but I dont see us agreeing there. My Savage is in 99% condition, with only a slight bit of rust on the front of the bolt. We'll see what happens I guess. I may just find me a Remington 700 action and start from there.

Tang...

I don't know what to tell you???

It's your call...

If it were me...and It wasn't 100% what you are looking for...then I wouldn't trade.

I'd hold-on to that Savage until you found one that you REALLY like, and think it's worth trading for.

I've learned one thing about buying and trading guns...NEVER get in too big of a hurry about buying one...and NEVER make a rash decesion!!!

However, that's my advice...

Take it how you will...but in the end, it's your decision.

If I dont get the RUM, or find me an STW, I may just rebarrel the Savage to 7mm WSM since it is already a short mag rifle. Maybe wild cat a 6mm WSM ???

It is a very good round but I feel the 338/378 is the better of the two. Stay awaw from the 7 mm STW if you are looking for more downrange energy to take down big animals. I have used the 7mm STW, the 7mm Ultramag,the 300 Ultramag, the 8mm Remington Magnum, the 325 WSM,the 8mm/378 weatherby, 30/378 Weatherby, the 338/378 Weatherby, the 358 STW and finally the 35/378 Real Guns wildcat. At 6 foot/ 180 lbs they are all fairly easy to shoot. In my opinion the 7mm STW does not need a brake. I start using brakes above the 325/ 8mm. I can't see any difference in animals(elk) hit with the 8mm/378 versus the 338/ 378 Weatherby but it takes a lot more time investment since you have to make these rounds up. Sometimes it is nice to simply go buy a box of ammo and go shoot. My favorite round is the one I spend the most time with and that is the 35/ 378 Weatherby, it puts 250 grains downrange quickly with about the same ballistics as the 30/378 when going thru 28" of barrel.

I have done both of these and they will both kill anything in north america. For long range hunting just not as good as the 30 and 338's. There are just not enough good bullet choices in 8mm. The 8mm rem mag was dead before it was started because of this. Not because it is a bad round, just no good long range bullets for it. It just can't compete with good 30 and 338 bullets.

I have been using an 8mm ultra-mag for 3 years now. I love it!! Dies were from RCBS and were about $150 if I remember. I am using both 7mm and 300 brass, both are a run through the sizer die and load,no different than reloading for anything else. I am getting 3300 fps out of 200's Accubonds and Matchkings.
I have lived in North Idaho all my 44 years and hunted since I was 12. I have had the 7mm's. They kill elk but not nearly as good as a 300 does. The 300's do well but not as good as the 8mms. What I like out of the 8mms is they kill so very well and all with the recoil of the 300's.
I build my own rifles so have had just about everything. You do not need more than a 200 grain bullet for an elk no matter the shot. A 200 in either the 30 cal. or 8mm will break all apposing bones and get the job done.
I used to hunt with a 378 weatherby until I shot the barrel out. I rebarreled to a 416 Weatherby improved. It was much fun. That rifle is now a target rifle in 500 A-Square with a super match barrel from Pac-Nor. I am getting 2400 fps out of 750 grain A-Max's. For energy at long range only the 50 bmg really does much better. Remember the buffalo hunters used to make incredible shots out past 1000 yds with the Sharps.

I have used the 338's, all of them. I only mentioned this to help those who question what I am about to say understand that this statement is not made from a fear of recoil. I have sat on the bench with a 10 lb 378 (no brake)for over 80 shots a session shooting at over 1000 yds more times than I can remember. I pulled the same stunt with the 416 getting 2900 fps out of 400 grain bullets(also no brake,11 lb gun) I will say the 500 needs a brake for any fine long range shooting.
The difference between the 8mm and the 30 on elk is very noticeable. I find that the bullets I am using (accubond and matchking,also the 220 sierra) are the ones I would use even if there were more bullets available. The 338's are OK but most guy's need a brake to use them where if you are already comfortable with the 30 cal you would only notice how much better the animal was hit with the 8mm. As far as hitting at long range with any of them? Most people are just going to put on the scope with the target knobs and dial it in.
I find it heartening to see other people trying new cartridges and calibers. I would never tell anyone not to try something they thought would be neat,TRY IT!!!! Without this concept we would still be using the Krag. Remember,it still kills them dead.

You can get used to anything if you go shoot it enough.

If you are going to do a wildcat, I would recommend that you base your cartridge on the 338 Lapua. Brass will take much more pressure than the other brass. Weatherby brass will not take much pressure, in fact Weatherby does not recommend reloading their brass. They consider it a one firing brass.

I agree with the prior post that the bullet selection for the .338 or .308 would be better.

If you are interested in a big overbore in a 30cal, I had a 30-338lap imp built last year. C H Tool and Die built my dies. Price was very reasonable, and now they have it on file.

One thing I would do differently next time is I will not get another tight neck. All the neck turning sucks.

I believe the Ultra mags would be a better choice than the Weatherby as well. Better, less expensive brass. I did the 30-378 and three firings on brass is not good when brass costs almost $100 per 20. If you do a Weatherby, do not push it.

This is just my opinion, and we all have one of those. So take it with all the others that are coming, shake them around and see what comes out. Good luck with your project.

Steve

I know this is an old thread, but I really like the big 8mm boomers
Don't forget the Hammer Bullets. with 221s we were able to reach 3000+ FPS from a 30" barrel 8x68 cape rifle, and my 8 rem mag reaches 3079 avg with 83 gr of 7977 and a 220 Sierra
from a 27" barrel. Compare that to a 338 Lapua with 225 grain bullet on the Nosler website
I don't have enough twist to shoot the 248 gr hammers, but my next barrel will be a faster twist

I know this is an old thread, but I really like the big 8mm boomers
Don't forget the Hammer Bullets. with 221s we were able to reach 3000+ FPS from a 30" barrel 8x68 cape rifle, and my 8 rem mag reaches 3079 avg with 83 gr of 7977 and a 220 Sierra
from a 27" barrel. Compare that to a 338 Lapua with 225 grain bullet on the Nosler website
I don't have enough twist to shoot the 248 gr hammers, but my next barrel will be a faster twist
We have an 8mm Thread here on the forum, that is just for 8mm talk and discussion if you want to search for it. It might provide a bit more info.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/8mm-thread.121537/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.