Anyone tried the new Leica 2700 LRF yet?

6x47lapua

I've had great luck with my Leica 1600 B but have been reading about the 2000 model and the newest 2700 model. Apparently the 2700 model is programmable like the Sig and the Gunwerks.
If anyone has experience with this unit, I'd be grateful for the feedback.

Haven't had one out in the field but I've been looking at it because I also love my 1600b. The 2700b only does ballistic compensation out to 875 yards. Whereas the G7 is out to 1400 and the Sig is unlimited. I'm currently planning getting the Sig.

FYI, the 2700b actually has increased the corrected distance limit to 1200 yards. Still not unlimited like it should be, and I question how accurate it will be at that distance based on my 1600b experience, but with being able to install your own curve, maybe it will be improved.

It looks like the 2700b is going for $900 and since I got my sig kilo 2400 for $1150 I don't think I would go with the Leica for that small price difference. I have tested mine over lots of western terrain and it's been dead on each time. The iPhone app interface on the sig is awesome and the more info you put in the more accurate it becomes.

Stick with the 2000. The 2700 has better programming inputs but isn't better at ranging soft targets.

So I have been out today with the Leica CRF 2700 for the first time and I have to say I am quite impressed. Yesterday I have set the ballistics for my 6,5x55 and since the rangefinder will give you a ballistic solution out to 800m I went to a target measured at 785m. The target was 50cm wide and 80cm tall and I scored the first shot hit... Yes, nothing really impressive, but definitely it is there.

Next I tried some range measurements. In the morning it was a little bit foggy and it was struggling to get anything past 1750m. I got lucky a few times and got a tree at 2044m. I was afraid that it is not what they are promising, but I also had a Sig Kilo 2400 with me and it had even more problems. Later during the day when the wind cleared the fog I tried some more measurements, but 2100m was the max because other things were more than 2500m away. All measurements were made off hand. Next time I will use a tripod and I will go to a place from where I will be able to measure things out to the max range...

So I have been out today with the Leica CRF 2700 for the first time and I have to say I am quite impressed. Yesterday I have set the ballistics for my 6,5x55 and since the rangefinder will give you a ballistic solution out to 800m I went to a target measured at 785m. The target was 50cm wide and 80cm tall and I scored the first shot hit... Yes, nothing really impressive, but definitely it is there.

Next I tried some range measurements. In the morning it was a little bit foggy and it was struggling to get anything past 1750m. I got lucky a few times and got a tree at 2044m. I was afraid that it is not what they are promising, but I also had a Sig Kilo 2400 with me and it had even more problems. Later during the day when the wind cleared the fog I tried some more measurements, but 2100m was the max because other things were more than 2500m away. All measurements were made off hand. Next time I will use a tripod and I will go to a place from where I will be able to measure things out to the max range...
Thanks for the review, question....if you set the ABC to give you holdover, lets say in mils, does it first give you an unadjusted line of site distance, followed by the holdover, calculated for pressure, temperature, angle and curve?

I have a 1600b, and when ABC is set to provide EHR, I get the LOS distance, followed by the EHR that is adjusted for atmospherics, angle and one of the generic curves. What I have found is that the EHR is not accurate on my RF past a certain distance, so I am looking at options right now that will work with my Kestrel Elite.

I am hoping to get a deal going on a 2700 wherein I could use it's calculated holdover to as far as it proves accurate (hopefully with a functioning atmospherics system and a custom curve, out to 700 or so), and then use the displayed LOS along with the Kestrel for the longer shots.

Yes it will give you the distance and then number of clicks. I believe that with 1600-b you have problems past certain distance. The curves are predefined in it. Here in the 2700-b you can go to:
http://ballistictool.leica-camera.com/
Here you can insert all the data for your exact load. The only thing that I don't like here is that the program can only use G1 BC... But anyway it is much better than have to use something predefined...

Still you have to know that it will give you a correction out to 800m, not more...

Ou and I forgot, when you finish inserting your data in the ballistic software you have to select the Geovid binocular to get the correct file for the Rangefinder...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.