Anyone smart on FFL's?

sneedro

I was looking at applying for a FFL for personal use; in doing so the actual license application had a block asking if the license was for personal use and in parentheses next to it it said, "if yes, then do not submit the application" or something along the lines of that verbage.

I did a little more research and there is one for collecting "relics and curios" for personal use.

My question is (two part): If I obtain the second one does the firearm have to be "antique" in nature and if buy on online would this license cover me (and the seller) to avoid having to pay FFL dealers fees? They are steep in CA, plus they want to charge sales tax on an item that has already has sales tax paid on it once.

I know I wouldn't have a problem obtaining an actual FFL if 1) I didn't live in California and 2) I didn't live on a military base (we have to obtain acknowledgment of base commander; easier said than done, but not impossible).

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

The only license that is for personal use it the Type 3 Curio and Relic license. It allows you to collect guns that are over 50 years old or are classified as a curio or relic as published it their book. This license is for collecting only, not for business purposes.

The Type 3 will also get you great discounts at Midway, Brownells, Grafs...... and so on. It's well worth the $30 for three years.

The other FFL licenses are for conducting business, not for personal use.

To answer your question. No the gun does not have to be an antique. It has to meet the requirements of a Curio or Relic or be 50 years old. If it meets one of those requirements the seller can ship the gun directly to you. You then have to record the transaction in your bound book. No background or transfer fees for either one of you.

If you purchase a gun that does not fall within that criteria you'll have to do the background and transfer as normal.

geargrinder- Thank you for the info. Long of the short is if I don't want to have to pay another FFL to have a rifle/pistol shipped to him, then I just as well try to get the regular FFL license?

I'll call the ATF tomorrow and speak with them as well. I'll post up what they tell just in case anyone has the same questions.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.