Anyone shot the 338cal 265gr TTSX yet?

never tried them hunting, the results would be fairly easy to predict tho... id take an educated guess and say a solid lump of copper/brass alloy in this shape would simply pass straight thru an animal with zero expansion. The only hope would be if you hit bone or could otherwise could get the bullet to tumble you would get some impressive results, but this has proven to be an unreliable way of hunting.

Occationally you get some spectacular kills.... but unfortunately you ALSO get some spectacular failures and lost animals aswell.

I could only immagine the long range performance of my 378 wby shooting that 250 grain bullet with a .950 bc at 3400 fps. That would be incredible. I would think if you punch a 375 caliber hole through the chest of about anything it would probably die. Maybe worth a try next year. My 338-378 wby will shoot a 235 grain bullet over 3400 fps and with that bc over .8 it would also be amazing.

yes, i can confirm those predator projectiles fly flatter than a pancake and you can drive them faster than a fat kid running for a cupcake... :D so ballistically they are indeed very impressive, more so than the 300SMK...

I purchased a box, but have not yet tried them in my 338 RUM.

Capt Academy, would you willing to measure the length of your 265gr TTSX bullets and post what the length is??

I am in the process of looking for appropriate bullets for a 338 Lapua which has a 9 in 1 twist. If this bullet is in the range of 1.88 to 1.92 inches long is should result in a resonable SF.

Your input will be appreciated.

Deep Enough

I will as soon as I load them. I have just been very busy and have not had time to develop a load. My 225 TTSX's are tack drivers with Retumbo., OAL 3.66. Hope the 265 TTSX's are the same.

I got back from Africa two weeks ago and used my 338 RUM with H-1000 and 250 SMK's on Kudu, Waterbuck, Baboon, and some other small game, they worked great! Headed to AK for a brown bear hunt today.

I am having a 338 Lapua built as well.

never tried them hunting, the results would be fairly easy to predict tho... id take an educated guess and say a solid lump of copper/brass alloy in this shape would simply pass straight thru an animal with zero expansion. The only hope would be if you hit bone or could otherwise could get the bullet to tumble you would get some impressive results, but this has proven to be an unreliable way of hunting.

Occationally you get some spectacular kills.... but unfortunately you ALSO get some spectacular failures and lost animals aswell.

The fact that you have never tried them is readily apparent and your conclusion is incorrect. I have taken game with the 180 grain TSX in 30 cal. out to 777 yards and the wound channel is excellent and the penetration was straight line.

Last edited:
Capt Academy, would you willing to measure the length of your 265gr TTSX bullets and post what the length is??

I am in the process of looking for appropriate bullets for a 338 Lapua which has a 9 in 1 twist. If this bullet is in the range of 1.88 to 1.92 inches long is should result in a resonable SF.

Your input will be appreciated.

Deep Enough

The 265 TTSX will stabilize in a 10 twist barrel

I measured the bullet and came up with 1.78 for the 265TTSX

Thank you for measuring the Barnes 265gr bullet for me. Shooting this bullet using a 1 in 9 twist results in a SF of @1.93. This is a lower SF than using the Sierra 250gr Match when shot through a barrel with a 1 in 9 twist.

Will have to give the Barnes a try.

Deep Enough

yep you are correct LTLR, and more proof in the pudding is all the excellent very high BC banded solids we are seeing in .338 .375 .408 .50BMG etc... all have bands yet very low drag... i cant see too much dissimilarity between these and the TTSX...

If i werent so cynical id refrain from saying 'barnes probably havnt even tested the BC of this bullet yet' but thats just me :D

Agustus, These are the ones im shooting Projectiles

'Black diamond 408' is also shooting them in his 375-408 CT, and they are giving him exceptional accuracy... you can read his results in the banded soilds test thread.

Grooper,

Do you have a link to the thread by Black diamond 408?

Also how have you found the cleaning of your barrel after using the Predator Projectiles.. IE.. Hard to remove or relatively easy?

Where are you guys finding these bullets? I don't see them listed on any of the websites like Midway, Midsouth or Sinclair. I'd like to order some.

Thanks, Festus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.