anyone shooting a 6,5-284?

älg

Just would like to know how accurate the round is or can be.

I understand it does not kick much and must be a pleasure to shoot with an average weight rifle.

Thanks.

This caliber (6.5/284) has been the most impressive I have ever fielded. The rifle is a 1 in 9 twist Hart 28" medium heavy barrel and built on a Remington 700 with the HS stock and Jewel trigger, with a Leupold 8.5 x 25 LRT 30mm. The bullets of choice are the 140 and 142 match type, and accuracy on paper and in the field was about 1/4 MOA, yes .25 inch at 100 yards, and .5 inch at 200 yards etc. I took several Prarie dogs at 1240 and 1247 yards... but what was amazing was the energy retention at extreme distances. (1 mile / 1500 meters) This rifle probably should have been used for competition as it was so accurate, but I got my thrills with it as I wanted to. It still shoots well, but not pristine after 2,000 rounds of full power loads. I am going to rebarrel this rifle with the exact same configuration barrel if possible.
grin.gif

best groups have been well under a 1/4 at 100 yards with five shots. Rifle weighs 13.5 pounds, with a 26" lilja HV contour, and trued pushfeed action. Trigger breaks at an easy 1 lbs. Best bullets out of my gun were 140 grain A-maxs and Berger VLDs, both over 46-47grs of H4831. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

308 sako, how heavy is your rifle?

Have you tried it on deer or bigger game?

Alg, I don't know what the exact weight is as I don't have a scale in the house... sensitive area. I have not yet tried it on "big-game" but expect to in a few weeks with the Nosler 125 grain partition bullet at 3300 ft/sec's. I expect it to preform extremely well, and would not hesitate to use it whereever a 6.5, .270, .280, .264 Mag would be applied. Lock stock & barrel as well as the scope I would guess around 12 pounds 5.5 Kilo's... somewhere in that area.

carefully checj before make choice what you need
6.5/284 WIn
6.5/284 Norma
6.5/284 Norma match
6.5/284 Shedanne
and some other

6.5/284 is a generic name but there are big diferences in chambreing/throat lenght and case brand

good shooting

DAN TEC

[ 10-21-2004: Message edited by: DANTEC ]

Dantec, my idea is the 6,5-284 win or norma. As you, I am in europe and have to be careful about availability of some cartridges. I know Norma is making ammo in 6,5-284 norma, I thought it was the same as the 6,5-284 win. Hornady also makes brass, is it for the norma or win cartridge?

One more question, do you know or could you recommend a gunsmith in europe who could build a custom rifle in this caliber?

As for factory chamberings, I have only seen the sauer 2020 and shultz and larssen rifles for this caliber.

Thanks.

watermark.php

This was a 3.667" group I shot in competition at the Virginia 1000 yard club I also shot a 4.0 and a 4.6 the same year with a 16.8 LB rifle all shots were 5 shot groups and shot with a 6.5/284.
Crow Mag

to add to the 6.5 group pics
grin.gif

5inchtarget.jpg

This was the third smallest group of the year at williamsport at 5.3--"

16.33lb light gun 142smk

john hoover ashot a 4.3" group with his 6.5 heavy gun with a 100 score.

the group above would have been a new score record if that "9" would have been touching the 10 ring
frown.gif

the current light gun score record is a 100 score with 5.377" by john buhay

this round can shoot with the best
wink.gif

cheers,
JB

EDIT: another pic and info--> http://www.6mmbr.com/500mGroundhog.html

[ 11-19-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

i have a 6.5/284 win and love it. my rifle is a custom sporter with shilen #3 contour barrel, mk X mauser action and fully glassed wood stock. i have thumped mule deer and antelope with it and it is amazing. i'm still impressed with how flat it shoots and hard it hits for a "recoiless wonder". as for accuracy i am very impressed...for a light weight barrel and all it will put 5 120 gr sierra prohunter's under .5 moa at 100. last kill to date with it was a pronghorn last year at what i estimated 450 when i cut off the shot...the antelope fell like a sack of sh!+. going to retrieve it i counted 485 paces and that was to a little gulley and the lope was still about 30 yds away. the thing that amazed me was i held about 6 inches over his back and still hit him in the bottom half of the spine. sighted for 250 yrd zero i should have about 12.5" of drop at 500 (elev 5000). maybe i was off a little but not by much and the bullet should have caught him mid shoulder but was still high. now i'm not saying that i'm an awesome shot but i can call where the shot let off at and have a pretty good idea where it's going to land...anyway the destructive power of that bullet was impressive...cut a chunk out of the spine about 4" wide, gelled the lungs and exited. i was most impressed
grin.gif

[ 11-25-2004: Message edited by: brad ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.