Anyone own or used a Redfield optic?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ryno, Aug 14, 2006.

1. ryno

ryno Member

Redfield makes a 6x - 30x 56mm scope with a 30mm tube. Has anyone tried one of these? I love the thought of having that kind of range, but I know nothing of the glass quality. I wouldn't expect a Swaro, but something close to a leupold VX3 would be more my needs. Here is the link to their site... web page

2. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Ryno,

I'm pleased you asked this.

WL

3. ryno

ryno Member

LRHWAL,
    Do you know anything about these? I haven't gotten any response from anyone else. I don't know, if that a good or bad thing??? Perhaps they are just too new???

4. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Sorry Ryno, I meant I'd like to see the replies too. The prices look quite competitive and Redfield at one point in the past had a good reputation. Sorry - I know nothing about them.

Wim

5. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

I've posted the same ? on various sites, have yet to get a response. They're made by meade instruments, the 30 mm tube models have 80 moa of elevation and windage, supposedly a new type of friction spring adjustments for better tracking, guess I'll hata buy one and run through the course.
    JS

6. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Sorry, I had meant to add that the pics and data I could find seemed to indicate that the scope with 15X at the max was parallax adjusted for 100yrds - which doesn't really get me too excited. The other models have quite a bit bigger magnification at the top end.

Wim

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry Ryno, I meant I'd like to see the replies too. The prices look quite competitive and Redfield at one point in the past had a good reputation. Sorry - I know nothing about them.

Wim

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the old Redfields had that good of reputation. I owned 4 of them during the 70's and everyone of them developed major problems. I still think of Redfield as a POS from my past experience with them.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. ryno

ryno Member

JWP475,
    Thanks for the insight. What I have been wondering, is that Meade owns Redfield and Weaver. My good friend owns a tack driving .308, and swears by the Weaver on top of it. However, he is not a hunter. He does A LOT of target shooting, but has never shot farther than 600 yards. On the range, it seems very good, but I have never tried it during a low light situation.

Redfields are priced significantly more than Weavers, and I would never buy anything less than a VXIII quality for a long range gun. My other concern is, I am trying to decide on an optic for a .300 Win Mag I am building and the kick of a .308 is quite lower than the .300 Win Mag.

Thanks to all for their comments. I just keep checking this post, hoping someone has tried the new models. I hate to be the first one on the block, with a new model of anything (car, lawn mower, or anything). I will probably end up with a VXIII, but for now, I am just enamered with the 6X to 30X range.