Anyone interested in a Sept 2006 Caribou hunt?

Re: Return from Lake Minto with pics

Leave my bous alone!
Leave my woman alone!
I'd go but québec is too far...wait i live in quebec...IM GOING!!!!!!!!
Oh ya and bring a shottie, if wer ein season, we'd be allowed like 25 birds each to take back

I brought back 10 Ptarmigan for the freezer. 2 to mount, you are allowed 10 a day 30 per season. We had ptarmigan boned breast wrapped in bacon and grilled for hourdourvs one night. What a place!

nice pics, As soon as Marc gets out of the bush I will get him to get us a price. That is an awsome bull!! Congrats!
And the stewardass that aint right especially after time in the bush (and not the kind associated with a stewardess)

[ QUOTE ]
bigbearhunter,
I got back last Saturday night and we all did well with Tuttulik Outfitters at Lake Minto area. Located @100 miles N/E of Umijaq east of the Hudson Bay about tree line. Attached a photo (hope it works my first picture post) 337 yrds 257 Wthrby 115 gr BTip. Bull measured unofficially after deductions thru the velvet 436.5 (I'm gettin mounted in velvet so book documentation is not allowed, but I and afew others know). I did get hot 82 deg. tinypics

[/ QUOTE ]

Freebore
It's to late now, but having known it in time it would have been to cool. You were just in the village next door south to where I live, in Inukjuak.I've been here now almost 15 years and as you can imagine hunt all year round for anything edible. I just got a caribou 10 days ago, but still need to get 3-4 more for the winter, plus afew more geese while they are still around.

If anyone else comes this way from this forum let me know.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inukshuk,
What a beautiful area there that side of Nunavik. That area is very scenic with alot of great hills with many nuckcuks in the area, if I could only read them. I was able to understand the rock stacking by Lake Balllentine depicting the distance needed to stay from shore to keep the lower unit on the motor.
I had only hunted in the Kuujjuaq area in the past. Lake Herodier, False River, and Lake Ballantine.

When I go back it will be back to the Lake Minto area. I was told it is the prestaging area for the bulls prior to the rut and I can believe it as I said I saw only 2 cows.

Freebore

What do you estimate was the total cost of your hunt- licenses, transpotation, guide.

Don't count fishing lures, bullets, new gun, new boots, etc.

buffalobob,
I would estimate total with tax, all tags, tips, gas, room after hunt, butchering (in camp), extra cape (caping of one animal is in the cost of hunt), to be in the area of $4700.00

If I add in my past unrecoverable funds, pain and mental suffering about $8500.00.

Don't take that wrong please, www.Tuttulik.com treated my friends and I very well and I'm planning to go back again. It will be with them. The bad experiences were with bad outfitters or people assuming they were outfitters using other outfitters liscences without their knowledge.
Just use a reputable outfitter. I'll vouch for Tuttulik.

I received a email for my buddies wife this week while I was hunting, he will be in the first of Oct. and get me a price. If we can get 12-15 hunters we can take the whole camp and get a better price. will keep you updated.
thanks
Todd

Freebore, nice pic of the caribou. I also just returned from a caribou hunt, although mine was in Alaska. Just wondering about the details of your hunt, whether it was a float trip or what exactly. Congrats again

J

Justin,
The hunt started in Montreal Friday night when we meet with Harry the coordinator in the Ramada hotel lobby and received our fishing, small game licenses and caribou tags. The outfitter pays that night. The return night is not.
Next morning Harry and Rodney showed up at 9am with a scale and weighed our bags/weapon. They were then put on a truck taken to the terminal. We were transported by hotel van to a charter terminal and waited for the plane to be loaded. We boarded (19 guys) the Dash-8 a twin-engine turboprop 25 passenger and flew 2 ½ hours to Radisson/Le Grande for refueling. After 40 min of refueling we then flew to Umiauq. Here is where our camp (8 guys) had to wait 1 hour for the twin-engine Otter (an unbelievable plane) not a floatplane but balloon-tired craft to come back to take us in after they flew the 11 guys in and the others back.
We landed in camp at 6 pm Sat. night enough time to get settled in and eat a great dinner ready for us.
We harvested caribou until Monday night camp was tagged out. We then fished and hunted Ptarmigan every day after.
Plane came in at 5:30 Friday to take us home with total weight of 130 lbs of meat, racks, cape, 3 fish, 10 Ptarmigan allowed to come out. That meat equates to 4 hind quarters and 4 backstaps, there is a butcher in camp and a vacuum packer/frezzer in every camp for $100.
A Great Hunt had by all!
Caribou SatelliteTracking map
I've added a link. Go to bottom of page to get map. Kinda neat.

It sounds like a good time! The hunting party that I went with had a little more work than that. We didn't use a guide service or outfitter other than the float planes to get us there and back, and rented a boat to get across the lake that we were camped on. Other than that we flew all of the gear, including 2 tents and 85% of the food up there with us. We also had to pack out the neck, brisket, and rib meat as well as the four quarters and backstraps. Although not nearly as big of a trophy success as your hunt, we had pretty decent success in the fact that we managed to get 3 generations of my family up there for this particular hunt.

J

Justin,
The rest of the meat, mainly the front shoulders and a few completely donated animals go to the Inuit village of Umijauq. The village actually owns the area and camps where we hunted. They are in partners with the outfitters as in most of Nunavik (which is actually reservation land as we would know in the states). And you thought only corporate America did outsourcing.!
The younger village folks don't really hunt like the older generation did. So the camps the week we were in donated over 1600# of meat to the village. It was distributed in less than 30 minutes I was told. A floatplane travels form camp to camp and takes out the extra meat as well as flying the butcher around.
We hunted also from freighter canoes in the area across from camp. There were only 3 animals taken within ½ mile of camp.
It good to here that you were able to hunt with your family on such a hunt as caribou. Unfortunately I was not able to hunt big game with my father, I am hunting with my son now, and step grandson, I need them to keep me in venison as my bones are getting older

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.