Anyone here hunting with a 6.5 Grendel?

Just_James

I'm thinking about putting together a 6.5 Grendel uppper for my AR and was wondering what experiences people are having using this round on deer and hogs. What bullets are you using and what kind of range are you getting?

I have been thinking alot about this as well. Just need a barrel and a bolt. I think to get the most out of the round a barrel from Less Bear custom is a better choice than one from Bill Alexander at Alexander arms. The qualty is tops from both of them but LBC uses a more forgiving chamber which will work with a broder range of bullets.

I think it would make a great LRH round inside 600 yards it should be great. I cant recall the numbers off the top of my head but maybe it could go further. The issue for us will be the bullets. I'm thing 120g is about the biggest we can go.

Well I think I'm going to do it. I already have two 5.56 uppers (16" M4 style and a 20" heavy barrel), so this may be something fun to experiment with. Since most of my hunting is going to be in the South East, I'll probably stick with a shorter barrel length and have the added oomph and better ballistics out of the 6.5 round. I'm thinking an 18-20" barrel would still shoot a decent distance and be easy enough to carry.

Really interested in how well you do. I have been looking at the Grendel as a long ranger, and kinda as a replacement for my x39 AR. The ammo does everything better than the x39, and it seems that since Wolf will make steel cased ammo, it can be plinked wth for cheap too.

Will do. I'm doing some reading on building AR's and I'm going to be shopping around for some deals over the next month or two.

How does the upper receiver effect the overall accuracy? Is there a accuracy difference between the inexpensive Palmetto State Armory uppers and something like a LaRue or Noveske? I'm certain they are more durable the the PSA uppers, but I'm curious about just the accuracy. Don't think I'm going to be buttstroking any deer. gun)

Also, I've read some good reviews of Glen Zediker's Competitive AR book. Think I'll be ordering that as well.

Yes there is a diffrence!!!! Barrel is a no brainer you only have 2 choices LBC or Alexander arms. The barrel is going to come with a bolt timed to your barrel. Now for bolt carriers Young Manufacturing is the truest you will find and get an m16 bolt. Now on the upper reciver you want a strait one! Larue or Bravo company USA are great choices. I dont know what you have in mind for a fore arm system but it has to be free float. I use a larue rail on my spr but daniel defence are great too.

Ok, will budget a couple more bucks toward a high quality upper. I figured as much, but didn't even think about the barrel being on their straight. I guess I could always lap it, but still... rather start off with a quality product anyway.

No idea what I'll do for a bolt carrier, I'll figure that out as time comes, but Young Manufacturing does look like they put out a nice part. If they're good enough for LBC, they're good enough for me.

I've shot and qual'd with non-free float handguards while I was in the military I agree with you on that one too. While you can shoot perfectly fine without freefloats, you have to put the same tension in the sling to exert the same forces... everytime. No thanks, free float for me. Since I don't need all sorts of junk hanging off a rail system, my deciding factor will be how light the handguards are.

I was looking into getting into the 6.5 Grendel (I bought the dies and Lapua brass), but started some other projects instead.

I'm selling the dies and brass, if you are looking, just PM me.

Best of luck with your project.

-Pons

Ok, will budget a couple more bucks toward a high quality upper. I figured as much, but didn't even think about the barrel being on their straight. I guess I could always lap it, but still... rather start off with a quality product anyway.

No idea what I'll do for a bolt carrier, I'll figure that out as time comes, but Young Manufacturing does look like they put out a nice part. If they're good enough for LBC, they're good enough for me.

I've shot and qual'd with non-free float handguards while I was in the military I agree with you on that one too. While you can shoot perfectly fine without freefloats, you have to put the same tension in the sling to exert the same forces... everytime. No thanks, free float for me. Since I don't need all sorts of junk hanging off a rail system, my deciding factor will be how light the handguards are.

Cool I was in the military to. The qualty parts are a must. Bill Alexander is a member at M4Carbine.net he is a good guy and is more than willing to awnser questions just for your information. The M16A2 and M4s I carried in the service could not even hold a candle to the SPR I just put togher. I had a brand new out of the crate M4 on my last tour and it was a shooter but not like there rifle I picked every part for.

Just a thought - have you looked into the 6.8 SPC? It is much more supported than the Grendel - I have have taken Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope and bears with mine....:D

Thanks for the offer Pons.

ICANHITHIMMAN- I'll check out that site, I appreciate the link

durak- yes, I thought a lot about the 6.8 round and I like it a lot. While still not sold on the 6.5, the biggest thing (for me) is that the B.C. of the 6.5 rounds are almost double the 6.8 rounds and because of that, they drift and drop less, and carry more energy at distances over 300m. The second thing holding me back from building a 6.8 AR-15 is Ruger's M77 Hawkeye in 6.8 SPC. I've shot a couple M77's before and I was able to shoot them well. The M77 6.8 is light (5.75 lbs), short (35.5"), and shoots about MOA according to a couple of reviews like this one. And, they're selling for about ~$650. I think it's a cool little rifle and I'd like to pick one up, which is the other reason for not looking at a 6.8 AR.

Well talking to a buddy of mine, he's got an 18.5" Grendel barrel waiting for me when I get home! Picked it up on a midwayusa sale and didn't end up using it so he'll sell it to me for what he's got in it. :D

I'm pretty happy with it, looks like I'll have good ballistics and should be easy to carry and not hang up on everything as I'm walking.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.