Anyone have some good loads for 7rum?

7man

I have a Savage 110 chambered in 7mm Remington Ultra Mag w/ 26 inch barrel. I've had the reciever and action trued by a good gunsmith. I'm still shooting the factory stock but I bedded the rifle with marine tex. The factory savage trigger has been stoned and feels good. EGW scope mount and Nikon 3-9 Buckmasters scope. I've been trying to put the least amount of money into the gun as possible. I feel I've done the minimum needed to help make this gun a shooter.
Now I need a good load. So far I've loaded up some Hornady 154 gr Soft Points with Hodgdon Retumbo powder. My starting load was 90 grains and my max was 96 grains.
So far, 90 gr load, 3450 fps 2.5 inch 3 shot group
96 gr load, 3574 fps 2.5 inch 3 shot group
93 gr load, 3493 fps 3 inch 3 shot group

Can I expect the same performance with the other loads in between?

I just bought some Sierra gameking 175 gr SBT bullets, because I figure the longer boat tail bullet will perform better.

My goal is to shoot a deer at 600 yards (if the shot presents itself) So I want at least a one inch group at 100 yards.

Does anyone see anything wrong with what I'm doing or know of any pet loads I can use to speed this process of finding a good load for this thing?

I have a good load but it want do you any good. Mine has a match chamber with very little free bore. I would try a little faster powder with the light bullets. Retumbo works well with the Berger 180 but I think I was using RL 25 with the 162 AMAX. Killed a deer at 725 with the AMAX. Hopes this helps. Dan

FWIW,

I have been reloading for a 7 RUM Sendero with a barrel that looks terrible through the bore scope but a 140 game king with 104 grains of US869 shoots ragged holes with pretty low ES.

The max load of retumbo listed on the bottle with 160 accubonds was pretty close in 3 different RUMs for me. One liked a half grain more one a half grain less, but it is a good starting point after you work up to it.

Thanks for the information guys,

There isn't much out there for information on this cartridge, and I'm hoping to learn as much as possible.

By the way, due to my magazine box I can only seat the bullets to a max C.O.L. of 3.645 so I can't seat those bullets to a point where they're just about touching the rifling.
My one friend shoots a 300RUM in a Remington 700 action, and he said he had to do something with extending the magazine. I think he bought a new magazine box, or had a gunsmith lengthen it for him. Can you do that for a Savage?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.