anyone have any load data for a 7mm ultra

Yea I'm aware of that. But once I get the right combination it will only b shot mayb 5 times before elk season and hopefully 1 during so if I get a decent load worked up pretty quick the gun will have years of life left

Hodgdon data tops out at 90.0 h1000 with the 168 sierra so the charge may be a touch warm for accuracy.
I'd go with a slower burning powder like rl50 or 50 bmg here if you are staying with the 168. The accuracy should fall in if you can get your speed without hitting it quite so hard.

2 questions:

How is your trigger set?
On my rifle before I had it adjusted with the correct overtravel/poundage I was all over the place too. It took my groups from 1.5" to <.5".

Is this thing thumping you or do you have a good Limbsaver recoil pad or brake?
There seems to be left and right in your group. I don't know your experience with heavy magnums but big 7's have a 'bite' to their recoil.

Addressing these 2 things can improve your accuracy immensly.

2 questions:

How is your trigger set?
On my rifle before I had it adjusted with the correct overtravel/poundage I was all over the place too. It took my groups from 1.5" to <.5".

Is this thing thumping you or do you have a good Limbsaver recoil pad or brake?
There seems to be left and right in your group. I don't know your experience with heavy magnums but big 7's have a 'bite' to their recoil.

Addressing these 2 things can improve your accuracy immensly.
+1

I never really looked at the group before, but after your comment looked at it a bit and it looks just like some my 7stw put up when I was letting it hop around a while back. I was irritated at other things that had already been worked on with the rifle and not watching what I was doing.

Do you have another shooter you trust near you you could have punch a couple of groups off for you?? I had my Dad come out to the range with me to "prove" the 7stw. He settled in and punched a 5 shot .65" 100 yard group with a rifle that lately had been putting up 1.2 to 1.5" 15 shot averages. I settled in after he proved it was me and immediately dumped a .9" 100 yard group.

Often if gets in your head that a rifle isn't any good, and you stop really trying to make the rifle work for you. That's a good time to have someone else step in for a group or three or simply watch what the rifle is doing as it recoils on you.
If the recoil motion isn't similar every time, the accuracy will suffer. If the rifle isn't settled into the bags (or held the same way if freehand) every time the accuract will suffer. If the load isn't performing at your current temp. the accuracy will suffer-- that was also happening on the 7stw. Two of three loads were performing at some temps and not others.

Yes I have had a friend that travels all over the u.s shooting in competitions shoot it and it was the same but I have thought seriously about getting a brake put on... But all in all I don't notice recoil til I'm headed home from range after shootn 10 or more

My factory LSS will ONLY shoot 150 gr bullets to my liking.....150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips will basically go in the same hole at 100 yards over 90gr of H-1000, seated at mag lenth.

Every other heavier bullet I tried would hover around 1 MOA, at best.

With the 160, 162, and 168 grain offerings, Retumbo will serve you well. You should find acceptable accuracy between 91 and 93 grains. The poor quality Remington brass will not stand repeated firings with 93 or more grains, unless you want to use super glue to hold your primers in...:)

Thanks for the tip I had been struggling with my 7 Ultra Sendero about 1-1/2" was my best w RE 25 then tried Retumbo and shot Back to Back 1/2" groups

Last edited:
This thread repeaked my interest in this cartridge. So I got my LSS out again today after loading up some naked A-max 162. I had always used moly coated but had a box of not coated. Worked up from 91.5
Using Retumbo...yup... 93.5 gr 3.675 COL 215's Rem brass < 1/2" at 100 yards 2 diff 3 shot group.
Necks were sooty on lesser charges.

Thank y'all... I am officially on the search for some retumbo.. Will keep y'all posted

Anyone know of a place that might have it at the moment?

I'm glad you got her shooting. These rifles seem to either like retumbo or rl25, but not often both. I'm starting to think about 7rums now-- I love the round and have made some of my farthest kills with my old one. :D

bought a pound of retumbo this morning will b loading some up tomarrow and shooting away the next decent day we have here in north texas..... WISH ME LUCK!!!!

I am running 50BMG with the 180 Bergers. Shot awesome but load is too hot at 85 degrees, so I am backing it down. 29 inch Benchmark barrel with Wyatt's extended box.

just wanted to get back with yall. i havnt been on in awhile but i got that baby shooting... 92.3 gr of retumbo at mag lenghth with fed 215 primers pushing a 168 gr berger. and it will consistently shoot under 1/2 moa. best yet was a 3 shot group at 700 that measured .880 inches.... i screamed so loud with excitement when i got to target that i had people in town ducking...i thought i was pulling them and when i got up there i soon figured out i couldnt spot my holes because they were all in the dot...... as a matter a fact i just got back from colorado 2 weeks ago were i killed my first elk ever with this gun... 584 yards through my leica 1600 rangefinder so i dialed for 600 and droped him..... just want to thank all yall that gave opinions that pointed me in right direction without yall i would have never got my elk and would prolly have a remington sendero as a t post in my pasture......

keep shootn!!!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.