Anyone have a Tikka "Super Lite"?

Thanks for posting that link, I expect my rifle to shoot that well with some decent ammo. Took mine to the range yesterday and it's still grouping 1-1.5" @ 100 yds, which is a little disappointing. I'm going to lighten the trigger pull, re-torque the scope base/rings, and action screws, then put some premium ammo through it. I probably won't shoot again until after new years, but I'll let you guys know when I do.

I'm interested to hear what kind of groups other T3SL owners are getting and with what ammo.

Well, back to work...
Boo

FYI-

A fella over at 24hr Campfire did a nice review of the Sportsman's Warehouse version:

Tikka T3 Superlight review..... - 24hourcampfire

I weighed my Super Light from Cabela's (300 Win Mag) and its 5 pounds 14 ounces using a calibrated scale. IIRC my blued, standard Lite in 300 Win Mag was 6 pounds 6 ounces. So an 8 ounce difference between the Super Lite and standard Lite. Every ounce counts in the mountains and canyons.

I finally found a factory load it likes...Hornady 180 grain SST. I got 3 rounds under 1/2" at 100 yards, shooting off a gymbag. I can live with that I think:cool:

I finally found a factory load it likes...Hornady 180 grain SST. I got 3 rounds under 1/2" at 100 yards, shooting off a gymbag. I can live with that I think:cool:

My Tikka T3 in 30.06 likes that ammo too. I use 165 grain Hornady SST Superformance with 1/2" 100yrd groups

Update -

I finally starting shooting the Super Lite in 300 Win Mag last week. Rifle has a Vortex Viper 2-7x with ballistic reticle mounted with a DNZ one-piece mount. Total weight is ~7lbs and the recoil will definitely get your attention, but its not unmanageable for a short shooting session (~20 rounds or less for me unless using some additional recoil padding).

I didn't have luck using Retumbo or H1000 with the last T3 in 300 Win Mag. Accuracy was great, but velocities were low and the Retumbo loads were compressed in order to get the COAL to fit in the mag. I'm now using Ramshot Magnum with the 200gr NAB and getting 2900fps. My current load shot under 7/8" at 100 yards for 4-shots. Not bad for such a light rifle, and I think I could do better... it was at the end of my shooting session and I think the pounding from the rifle started to get to me. That's why I didn't even bother with the 5th shot.

I did run an earlier load at 400+ yards and it did well given the amount of wind that day. I need to run this new load at 400 and 500 yards to see how it does. My reticle is good to 600 yards, but I think that would be pushing it a bit too far. I figure this rifle will make a good mule deer and elk rig out to 400+ yards. I'll practice on paper and steel farther.

Last edited:
4th_point
Thanks for sharing the results of your range sessions. BTW, I don't even shoot 4 shot groups with my T3 Lite. Three shots is it. The groups start to open by the 4th shot due to the light profile barrels, unless you wait an inordinately long time for it to cool back down.

I appreciate the update as well. Those Tikka magazines are way too short IMHO and can really limit the load options. My .300 WSM ends up with a quarter-inch of freebore beacuse of magazine length limitations, but it shoots amazingly groups. Glad to hear it is shooting well for you though. A 200 grainer at 2900 sounds pretty darn good. Due to the magazine lenght, a 200 grainer is out of the question for me.

Yeah, if I would have stopped after the 3rd shot it would have been under 1/2" group at 100 yards!:cool::Dgun)

I've noticed that with the slow powders the receiver and first part of the barrel rarely get hot. The hottest area is farther down the barrel. You've probably noticed that the stock grabs the first few inches of barrel, and heat in the area seems to raise the bullet impact. I know that factory 180gr ammo recoils faster and heats the receiver more. I can only guess that its due to the faster powder, but I don't know for sure. I could only shoot 2-3 shots and wait for a cooldown with factory 180gr in my other 300 Win & 300 WSM. And it did seem to take forever.

With my 200gr loads I can shoot 3-5 no problem. I usually take 2 shots, then attach my barrel cooler which is simply one of those battery powered air mattress inflators. I also think the fluted barrel is helping more than I thought it would. Even without my make-shift barrel cooler, the rifle cools down pretty quick.

One other thing that I noticed is that Ramshot Magnum powder is extremely clean burning. No smoked necks, no residue in barrel or at the crown. I'm simply thrilled with it after trying Retumbo and H1000.

Strider,

I think some guys have successfully converted the magnum magazine to work with the WSM chambered Tikkas. If you want to shoot 200gr bullets, you may want to run a search for the parts involved.

Jason

I just bought a Super Lite, havent shot it yet. Mine is a 3006. I put a Kahles 3-10x50 in Tally rings on it and a limbsaver. Although I havent shot it yet, I really like it. Seems like it will be perfect for a do everything type rifle.
Anyone have one in 3006 and care to share your factory ammo preferences?
Thanks

My best groups are with hornady SST in 165. I can get sub 1MOA at 100 yards. With Remington Core 220 grain (bear) it shoot 1.5-2 groups. IMO ever 30-06 I have shot always do best with 165 vs any other weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts