Anyone from Southern Alberta on this board?

Hey Hagar, I'm stuck in Cowtown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Down in Pincher, you're in the nicest part of the province in my opinion. I just love that country down toward Waterton.

Can I assume that you got that big elk off of your inlaws land?

Is that where you are going to do your long range shooting?

Cheers

Hi Slopeshunter,

Yes the elk was taken on the father in laws ranch.

I am new to long range shooting but there are areas on the ranch where I would like to set up a range.

The elk was my longest shot todate at just over 500 yards,most of my hunting has been at much shorter ranges.

Mostly hunt Whitetail but also some Mule deerand Elk.Have also got a Couger and several Black bear,coyotes.Have yet to get a wolf but have seen several.I am also going to try and get a sheep.The odds on some draws are good so a guy can have a pretty full season down here.This year should get antlerless white tail and muley as well as bull elk.With any kind of luck I should have a full freezer again!

My draw booklet just arrived the other day. Not a whole lot of options available for me this year. My antlered mulie is only at a 1. I'm going to do some sheep hunting in Kananaskis. And I'll also grab an elk tag (general in 312), I may instead grab an undersubscribed cow tag for 312. They usually have cow tags available there after the draws (lots of elk, difficult access).

Have a good day.

I am from the Drumheller area,not really south but close, I do some long range shooting but as far as ranges go our local range is only good for 300m .Most of the long range shooting is done at a friends farm where we can go to 1000yrds,also the gopher pastures in the spring is great for 400-600yrd shots.
Good to see some Alberta boys on this site!!

There is only one range around here and it,s only 250 yards,also,they don,t allow magnums.Only 270,308 and 30-06.Ido my long range shooting on the father in laws range.

Well, I'm not from the south, but I visit there often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Lloydminster (soon to be Edmonton) here.....looking for some speed goats this year i think....draw book has not come in yet, although I know my moose and mulie draws are now 0's but my speed goat draws are 4-5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Our range up here is out to 300 yards but there is a deer sized rock out at 497 yds that likes to get hit with my 300WM 190gr Hornady's doing 3100fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Slopes hunter, I'm in Calgary as well.
You have an excellent facility about 50 minutes to the west, where you can shoot to a maximum distance of 900 meters. Let me know if you need more info.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.