Anyone ever hear of the 30 FBI ?

Mach V, your comment earlier, about PRL bullets having high BC but flying like "**** in the wind", and the airplane wing thing...I don't track that...please explain.

Max,

The PRL's have an extremely high BC because of the ratio of their weight (density) to physical size. The .308 253 PRL is, for instance, much shorter than a .308 250g lead bullet. That's precisely what makes them so desirable from a center of pressure/center of mass perspective.

I think what Mach V was referring to with the airplane wing thing was those manufacturers that use less dense cores and thus have to make the projectile extremely long to get the weight up...

STL I was wondering where you were
wink.gif
. Figured you had some covert thing going on with the WOLF. Is she still a pup or has she grown into a mama now?

Ya what STL said!!Too much time in the barn as a kid sorry for the confution!The scary part is some people actualy understand what I is tryin to say.
Have not shot the PRLs just held a few so my coments are limited.I have used numerous Barns and a few other solids.They tend to be very fussy on what they like or dislike,foul a barrel a little more and drift in the wind farther than their equal weight lead core couterparts.
Have a hard time believing the Wolf was ever a pup!I gotsta get me ona those(gots lots to learn first though
frown.gif
)
CJ

Stl Shooter/Mach V. May not have understood the reference to PRL bullets in the post I asked about. Thought the reference was to PRL, maybe intended as "other"? Anyway, I do follow the difference between lead and exotic alloy core bullets regarding CG and CP displacement. I'm not aware that projectile length influences BC in any significant way, exception being yaw of repose of course, even if indirect. Did I sleep through a class at Ballistics University?
confused.gif
My comments are/were in context of Mach V's remark about drift.

If you take three bullets with the same BC fired at the same velosity in a no wind condition they will drop at the same rate....Right?
Now lets say that one of the bullets is a GS solid,one is a MK,one is a PRL and we add a constant wind,the more the marrier.Which bullet drifts more in the wind?Is wind drift figured into the BC?

To make it simple. You can take a 1 inch long 30 caliber bullet and a 2 inch long bullet of the same diameter. For this example give them both the same BC and velocity. Time of flight to a given target will be the same due to the BC being the same. But, when it comes to wind the longer bullet has the potential to have a larger surface for the wind to push on. It would be the same as comparing different size sails. Obviously due to design differences the area could vary from design to design. The biggest thing to think about is with the PRL you can achieve a very high BC with a smaller bullet. This gives you the High BC and smaller cross section. Sorry if this seems convoluted, but I haven't had the chance to sleep much in the past week or so.

Vince

Sorry guys, if the bullets have the same BC, drop and drift are the same. Drop is a TOF issue, Drift is essentially TOF as well but is computed with a component known as lag time. That is the difference between TOF(vacuum) and actual TOF. Lag time is a measure of the effects of drag on the projectile, and thus reflects BC or Coefficient of Drag. The term 'Drift' is misleading in the context of this discussion as what is actually occurring is a deflection. If you'll work the equation a bit you'll see that the bullets are NOT drifting, and in fact resist that quite a bit. From memory, and perhaps not correct: D=wind velocity(fps)/T-Tv where Tv is vacuum time, T =actual TOF.

As to denser core materials, yes, they have a higher BC for a given length and same form, or same BC for shorter projectile. The concept has great merit for many reasons, no doubt some I haven't considered. In any case however, BC is BC, regardless of material of construction.

If you have the time, get a copy of Robert Rinkers book, "Understanding Firearm Ballistics".

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited by: MAX ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.