Anyone ever add fiberglass to a stock

bweber

I have a 270wby that I've been fiddling with for a few years. It has a 28" Krieger fluted target barrel, a Timney Trigger and a Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock. It shoots great, but I just can't get it to fit me quite right. The comb is way too low. I've added one of those foam cheek pieces you get from Brownells, but it's still too low and it's too soft to get a good solid cheek weld.

I'd love to get a stock with a wheel adjustable comb. I shot a Sig SSG3000 a few weeks ago with one of these and fell in love with it. But that would mean putting another $600 into the gun, so I'm thinking about other options.

One thing I had thought of is getting some fiberglass and/or epoxy and building up the comb to where it would fit properly. Then I'd repaint the whole thing. Has anyone ever done this? Is it easy to do? Would it last? If I'm about to do something foolish please stop me!!!

Thanks,

Ben

Not sure why you couldn't. I have a Bansner that I thought was a little too flimsy in the forend. I have a buddy who build prosthesis. So I had him add a layer of carbon fiber to the forend. A little sanding and Bondo to feather it in and some paint, you can't even tell.

Here's what I did. A before and after.

After

Its a truly composite stock. Built around the B&C Carbelite original that wasn't stiff enough on the fore end and too short on fore end (Added 2") Nothing fit quite right. But shot very well.

Encludes fiber glass, several types of quick hardening material for comb, plam swells and pistol grip. Also devcon, bondo and probably some gorilla glue.

Now she feels, fits and shoots off the bipod the way "I" think it should. Can spot shots from here to the horizon w/a 16X scope.

Shot answer is, you betcha give it a shot.

Yes I did.
Originally stock HS Precision and I add fiberglass (small Kitty Hair) - sort hair fiber, and I have now a nice stock to fit my body.

Chris

If you are looking to add an adjustable cheek peice. Shawn Carlock is your man. he runs Defensive Edge gunsmith shop out of Postfalls ID. He adds a kydex adjustable cheek peice that looks great, is very light, and pretty inexpensive. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.