Anyone else have lighted nocks break in fast bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Andy Backus, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor

I've been shooting my brand new PSE X-Force Dream Season Evo which is quite a bit faster than my previous bow at 345 IBO. Yesterday I shot my hunting arrows with Lumenoks and had 2 of the 4 nocks shatter at the shot. The temperature was in the high teens. Were they breaking because it was cold or is it simply because the bow is so fast?

2. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I broke one a few months ago when it was around 20 or so. My bowtech 82nd airborne is around those speeds. Shooting targets they hold up really good but hitting something harder seems to cost me about $10 a shot :)

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I got a bunch last year they all broke. I will never buy them again what a waste.

4. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

ICANHITHIMMAN, what kind did you use?

They are really nice when they work right...

5. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Not lum nocks the other ones with the magnet and they all broke every single one.

6. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor

Mine were Lumenoks.

Since posting the question I've paid closer attention to the different brands of lighted nocks and I noticed that Lumenoks are much less bright than the other two.

7. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

If the nocks are too tight and the weather is very cold, they will likely snap when your bow is fired. When you fire your bow, the string pulls out of the nock very fast, which bends the nocks — very fast. This can happen with any plastic nock, but it's less likely the lighted nocks you purchased are sized ideally for your bow.

You can lessen this by filing the inside of the nock so it isn't as tight, or you can dip the ends in boiling water & open them JUST SLIGHTLY prior to hunting in very cold weather.

8. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

Andy, we should meet up before the cold weather goes away and do a little cold weather testing of some of the other brands :) I wonder if any 3d ranges are open in the winter... it would be nice to do some shooting out of my basement for a change. I'm probably going to pick up something other than the luminocks to try for next year anyways.