Anyone draw for Montana Deer or Elk?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Big Sky, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I did!

3. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got it this year.

4. Niles Coyote

Niles Coyote Well-Known Member

My group of 4 did!!!:)

5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I'm going too!

6. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that didn't get drawn? Kinda sucks, I even have a home there. Guess I will have to put in for Antelope and hunt deer in Idaho.

7. NONYA

NONYA Banned

I bought mine,weeks ago_Owning a home here dont give you residency or prefernce.

8. samson

samson Well-Known Member

I got mine. We put in for a party of 5, however, we had landowner sponsership. I think that helps. If you had your choice of dates this year, when would you go for Mule deer? We are hunting the milk river area up to Saskatchewan.

9. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

Samson,
    The last two weeks of the season. Any other time is more or less a waste of time and money.

10. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I looked back at some of my old tags and most of our tags were filled around November 17th. We have never tried later than that, we were always afraid the rut might taper off.

Big Sky, does the rut continue well into the end of November? Does the activity actually pick up later in the month?

11. samson

samson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. I have always hunted Whitetails on the Milk River and sightings are never a problem, but mule deeer is a different story. I have NEVER hunted them. We will be basically hunting a drainage and little coulees. What should I look for as far as food and cover. I figured if I can find food I can find does. Any suggestions?

12. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

Nonya,

I never said it did give me residency or preference. Neither does the insurance I pay in Montana, the school I donate to, property taxes, the vehicle tabs, business taxes etc. etc. But thank you for your clarification. Please don't peg me as someone who just has a home there I visit occasionally and expects to be treated as a resident. I support the community where my home is located. Just wanted to be able to spend more time there in the fall.

Don't mean to sound like this is a pissing match, the comment just kinda had an odd tone to it.

Good luck to everyone that did draw.

13. Bullseye

Bullseye Well-Known Member

Mule deer rut appeared to be in full swing around Thanksgiving last fall. At least it was in the south eastern portion (Miles City down to the corner of WY and SD).

No luck drawing this year though... Hope the WY drawing goes better.

14. NONYA

NONYA Banned

You said it as if you expect one because you own a home here,I know many people who whine about owning property here and having to apply for tags,guess I misunderstood you.