Anyone do a glue-up of hard wood flooring to make stock?

johnlittletree

So I have an associate that deals in all manner of wood from pine to Indian Rose Wood. He does a lot though with random hard woods from local tree removals and tree's that fall in storms. He does a lot of furniture for board rooms, restaurants and the like.

He knows I build my own stocks ever few years also from what ever I find or from my own backyard like I made a stock and revolver grips for a friend from soft maple nice pink hue inside. So he mentioned he recently got in a lot of hardwood flooring and asked me if I had ever considered doing a laminate? I have not because I always thought it would be hard to work with hand tools unlike natural piece of food. I always thought it must be hard to work a laminate with hand tools.

Anyone have any experience. Currently I use chisels, planes, gouge, rougher, sanding blocks, water, heat gun, water based dyes and various Spar Varnish, Drying Oils and French Polish.

I am not much of a wood worker so no cabinets or caskets for me! LOL......I am more of a metal guy than a wood guy.

I would only consider it if the flooring is unfinished.

I've gummed up enough belts and dulled enough planer knives reclaiming hardwood flooring...

The key to making a good laminate is a high level of dimensional consistency - a thickness planer can be a real asset.

Personally I'd save my time and hand tools for some nice hardwood blanks.

Love your choice of wood finishes, by the way.

I would only consider it if the flooring is unfinished.

I've gummed up enough belts and dulled enough planer knives reclaiming hardwood flooring...

The key to making a good laminate is a high level of dimensional consistency - a thickness planer can be a real asset.

Personally I'd save my time and hand tools for some nice hardwood blanks.

Love your choice of wood finishes, by the way.
Thank you! I thought it might be tough going. I have only ever used aged blanks of wood. I am going to pass for now. Why set oneself up to fail? Other than framing the occasional partion wall the only time I really work wood is for rifle stocks, knife handls and hand gun grips!

Always good to know you limits! LOL

I recommend talking to Joel Russo if you need information on laminating wood. Better yet, he may laminate you a blank that you can do your self.

I bought several unfinished blanks from him and did all the shaping and additions that I wanted to make it fit me.

It was still a lot of work, but I ended up with a great piece of wood with all the correct grain directions and moisture content.

J E CUSTOM

I recommend talking to Joel Russo if you need information on laminating wood. Better yet, he may laminate you a blank that you can do your self.

I bought several unfinished blanks from him and did all the shaping and additions that I wanted to make it fit me.

It was still a lot of work, but I ended up with a great piece of wood with all the correct grain directions and moisture content.

J E CUSTOM
I will have to keep that in mind. I have been told that laminates tend to splinter and just not play well if you try to use non-powered hand tools. I have been told that at you very least you need to use a router or Dremel like high speed rotary tool. Sadly those people telling me this are passing on second hand information with no real world experience so really looking to see what other's have done. So I appreciate the info.

I will have to keep that in mind. I have been told that laminates tend to splinter and just not play well if you try to use non-powered hand tools. I have been told that at you very least you need to use a router or Dremel like high speed rotary tool. Sadly those people telling me this are passing on second hand information with no real world experience so really looking to see what other's have done. So I appreciate the info.

Good Laminates work very well using hand tools and in fact that is my preferred method so I don't remove to much material at a time. I normally use a rasp or special wood files to get the shape I want without dealing with splintering as with wood grain direction.

It is my preferred stock material for many reasons. If it is a good quality Laminate, it is pressure bonded and the resin prevents many of the problems with splintering and soft spots that require special attention. They are also the most stable of wood products used for rifle stocks.

There balance is well suited for rifle stocks and they are very durable and weather proof if properly sealed. I use the hand rubbed finish process that makes repairing and scratches easy to repair.

So whats not to like about good laminates. other than an occasional
hi grade hardwood stock for looks, all of my stocks are in laminates.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts