anybody using a zeiss rangefinder

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by dahunta, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dahunta

dahunta Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anybody has done any field tests with the new zeiss rangefinder.was interested in getting one but would like to know if it compares to the leica 1200 in the field.speed,glass, etc.thanks!

2. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

Dear dahunta,

last fall my hunting partner got one Zeiss Rangefinder (Binocular), and I did a field test side by side with a Swaro Rangefinder (Monocular)

Zeiss - Binocular | Swaro - Monocular
    zeiss- more heavier then swaro
    zeiss red aiming circle - WAY BIGGER (at 1750yards - the red circle was almost half of the hill side and you can not be sure what you are ranging
    swaro - red circle at the same distance covering 2-3 trucks side by side

max distance ranged with zeiss at any object (glass, small sage bushes, tree, rocks) - 1750yrd on normal day (sun behind us)
    swaro - 1850yrds (please note I tried 3 unit with the same battery at the same object and all were ranging max 1200 -1500yrd, and just this demo unit was able to range 1850 all day)
    zeiss - very fast reading | swaro 1 sec delay
    lenses image quality - zeiss - very good, clear to the edges without distortion

Price: swaro - $950CDN, zeiss - $3200 CDN

Wish list: zeiss - red circle need to be way way smaller to be trusted at longer distances.

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

From VERY limited time comparing the Zeiss PRF and the Swaro LG, I came to the conclusion that the Zeiss is faster and has a better aiming reticle but the Swaro, although finicky, beats it big time on range.

I got the Swaro.

4. Longshot38

Longshot38 Well-Known Member

I did a mini review here.

5. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

What do you think about the leica 1200?

6. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

1200 yrds is special condition
    600-700yrds on bright sunny day.

not the best for LRH...

7. Longshot38

Longshot38 Well-Known Member

I've used both the Zeiss is much better.

8. NJS

NJS Well-Known Member

I have been using a Leica LRF 1200 for years and get readings out to 1200 yards quite regularity... I think some may have problems with the newer CRF because of it's a single handed operation, not two hands like most of the other rangefinders and my LRF... Its tougher to hold steady, a person’s wrist is very flexible... it needs to be held super stead, especially at the longer ranges. MHO... NJS