Anybody Use a SPOT Satellite Messenger Yet?

A friend used one last summer for a 25 day backpacking trip into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness area in Idaho. Each night he turned the unit on to broadcast his current position. It was pretty neat to monitor his progress on the internet. You could follow his progress using topo maps or aerial maps.
Before he left he had laid out a specific route. With each day's broadcast, an email message would be sent to the folks tracking his progress. He had a choice of three different messages. 1)"I am OK and sticking to the plan" 2) "Something minor has happened but I am still OK" and 3)"I am in trouble, send help". Message three was never needed.

My dad uses his almost every day. He travels alot for his job. Whenever he leaves he turns on his tracking so we can see where he is or when he arrived. We also take it hunting. We'll use the check in to send text messages or emails to family members each evening when we get back to camp. We'll also hit the check in twice in a row to let everyone know that we have harvested and on the way home.

Dad is taking his on his moose hunt to Alaska next week.

I bought one this year as I do alot of hunting alone. Makes my wife feel much better getting the ok messages from the spot. Well worth the cost.

The only thing that could be nicer is if it had a small screen with a digital keyboard where you could type the msg to be sent with each message rather than using the canned ones you set up on the website.

Two thumbs up!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.