anybody shooting WC872 in a 7mm Allen?

Ridge Runner

just looking for a starting point. Kirby says that the 4 groove 1-9 won't take the pressures like the 3 groove so start with upper mid level loads for a 7 rum, ok, this according to AA's 8700 data is 95 gr. on testing my 7STW with wc872 and 160 nosler accubonds, I maxed out at 95 grains. so is this where I should start or what? that just seems like a low charge for the allen case.
RR

Not fammilar with loading the 7MM allen mag, but my lot of WC-872 is slower than H-870 and I found in the 300 RUM that it takes as much powdwer as you can get in the case to work.This may not be the case with the 7AM. I would think that you could start with H-870 data and move up as indicated.Proceed with caution

James,

For formed cases I would start in the high 90 gr range. Probably something like 98.0 gr or 99.0 gr with the 160 gr Accubond. Seat to 0.015" off the lands to start with until you learn the personality of the rifle and then you can move them closer to the lands after you learn the rifle a bit more and how much pressure X grains of powder will produce.

There will be some slight pressure issues using a 4 groove compared to a 3 groove but they will not be dramatic. Using very top loads developed for a 3 groove barrel may be a bit warm, this was what I was concerned about with your barrel.

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.