Anybody shooting the 240gr Sierra Match Kings?

James Jones

I was wondering if their BC was close to the Listed .711 that Sierra has? I see that Sierra's new 210 Ha sa very high BC also , anybody know how accurate that info it?

The board member -JonA -from washington state shoots the 240 smk in his browning custom 300 rum ,maybe he'll see this.

I see all the talk about the 300gr smk in the 338cal -and always thought the 240 would make a good longrange elk bullet.-------ME

It's a great hunting bullet. Big hole, deep penetration, very accurate.... But its BC isn't that high. The 210 will beet it ballistically--I've actually measured it to have a slightly higher BC and you can launch it 150 fps faster--but I haven't tried it on game (yet). The 210 and 300 .338 have much more efficient shapes. I think that's why there's nowhere near the love for the 240 as there is for the 300--in real life its BC is a lot farther off than it looks like on paper. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good long range performer, but there is room for improvement.

Now, if Berger decides to make a 240.... :D :D :D

I was wondering if their BC was close to the Listed .711 that Sierra has? I see that Sierra's new 210 Ha sa very high BC also , anybody know how accurate that info it?

Hi, I put a few of these downrange last year and killed an elk at (only) 450 yds. First shot right behind the foreleg and it exited (all but one little piece of bullet jacket against the skin on the farside after blowing through a rib on the offside). A quick follow up shot about 4-5 seconds later as the animal was moving was a pass through at the neck/chest junction. 300RUM, 104.5g US869, 3000fps mv, nearly 4" OAL to get right on lands with Wyatt's box.

I'm using Exbal and have found it's built in BC number (direct from Sierra) just about spot on in my rifle out to just over 1000 yds. I know that seems different that some others have found, but it's been amazingly close at those ranges with the combo I'm using.

I have shot about 300 of these at 2850 to 2900 out to 1200 yds. The .711 is pretty close to an average over that distance. I have .7 in the Atrag and its dead on at 1000 to 1200.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.