Anybody out thier shoot a 30-338 Win??

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by James Jones, Apr 8, 2006.

1. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I just got a barrled action for a hell of a deal and its a 300Win mag barrel was cut back and rechambered to 30-338Win I was wondering if it was worth the time to even play with it. Or should I just pull the barrel and sell it , it came with dies.
    I know that years ago they used to be popular but haven't heard about one in several years

2. Ankeny

Ankeny Well-Known Member

I have been using a .30-.338 for about 10 years and I love it. Great cartridge.

3. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

4. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

I've had one of both versions of the .30-.338 for 25 years. The original (pioneered by Fred Huntington, RCBS) was based on the .338 Win. Mag. case necked down to 30 caliber. The .30-.338 Keele Mag. is a .300 Win. Mag. case run through a .30-.338 full-length die which makes the body the same but with a longer neck so a bit more powder might be used. I've shot several 15-shot test groups at 1000 yards with each and they all were under 7 inches.

Both cartridges are two of the most accurate 30 caliber magnums based on the H&H style belted case. Both have won lots of 1000-yard prone and benchrest matches.

Favorite accuracy loads use IMR4350 powder under Sierra HPMK bullets; 65 to 66 grains with 190's and 64 to 65 with 200's. Milder primers typically give best accuracy.

5. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

yep,
    Good cartridge!
    Got lots of load data if you want it... sierra has published data too.
    It will do most of what 300Wm will do, with a couple of grains less powder.

6. DougH9

DougH9 Well-Known Member

I just recently put together a 30-338 rifle, and I like it a lot. It was my pick of all of the 30 cal. cartriges out there, and I do not regret my choice.

7. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The .30-.338 Keele Mag. is a .300 Win. Mag. case run through a .30-.338 full-length die which makes the body the same but with a longer neck so a bit more powder might be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bart, is that as simple as you have it typed? Imperial lube some Lapua or WW 300WM cases in a 30-338 FL die? That would be especially nice when the shot count goes up and you can chase the lands out a bit further.

8. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    (The .30-.338 Keele Mag.) . . is that as simple as you have it typed? Imperial lube some Lapua or WW 300WM cases in a 30-338 FL die? That would be especially nice when the shot count goes up and you can chase the lands out a bit further.

[/ QUOTE ]I think so. Use an expander ball in the full-length die to iron out the dimple ring in the Keele case neck where the original .300 WM shoulder-neck junction was. Don't turn/uniform any necks until after the Keele case has been fired once. That dimple ring doesn't seem to hurt accuracy at all.

When I got my first .30-.338 Keele barrel, I ran 40 new .300 WM cases through my RCBS die, then seated Sierra HPMK 190's in half and 200's in half. Tested 'em at 1000 yards with a few sighters to center up then back to back 15-shot groups with each. Both groups were about 5 inches high and 6 inches wide; didn't correct for any wind. The group of 190's was centered 5 inches above the middle of the group of 200's. New cases are just fine with me......

However, if one plans on lengthening an existing standard .30-.338 chamber, be sure the floating pilot on the necking reamer is a proper tight fit in the rifling and will only lengthen the chamber neck keeping it at the same diameter. This is a tricky process and I'd just as soon have the barrel set back one tenon length and use a Keele reamer to make a new chamber. But some 'smiths do great stuff with great tools used in great processes.

9. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the difference between the two cases? Or send me samples if you have some old culls?