anybody know the case capacity of the 408 cheytec and

bigrich954rr

would it be a good round to turn in to a 338/408 or should it just be kept at 408 but i dont like the bullet selection for the 408 and could this round be built in a McMillan 50cal action or is it called McBros action i believe there the same thing right

I came across a story of a guy who worked for the military back when the .408 was being developed for their snipers, and apparently he loved the .338 caliber so he necked the 408 down and experimented. If I remember correctly, he lost all accuracy after 300 or 400 rounds. But he loved it while it lasted!

Yes, a Mc will work. My gunsmith has been building .408 chey Improved's on Armalite AR30 actions for some time now. It seems to work well according to him.

Barnes is currently and somewhat hush-hushidly <font color="green"> turning </font> bullets for this caliber on a lathe like LRBT is doing. Bad news is that they cost the same, just over a buck a bullet!

I can't remember exactly what my gunsmith said he is using, but it seems like it was 175 grains of powder or thereabouts.

im looking to see what kirby thinks of the idea hes the one i want to build my rig. what he thinks of the use of the 50cal action and looking for info and ideas

The .50 cal actions are not needed for the .408. You can use a BAT 8.5" action if you wanted. I talked to Bruce about this and he made me an action that would handle the .408 if I choose to go that route in the future.

Bill Shehane has also built several of these rifles on the same BAT action.

i was hoping to build it on the McBros 50 action. so if i dont like the 408 or the 338/408 round i would just have the gun built for a 50 using the same action. pros/cons/etc.?

big rich

That sounds like a good idea. I don't know about feeding issue with it though or what would need to be done.

I am going to be building a 408 this winter and i am working with Richard of wildcat bullets to make jacketed bullets for it. Just working out details. Hopefully be able have bullets done and ready by sometime first couple of months of next year.

Dave at viersco is great guy to talk to and is shooting the 338-408.

would there be any prombles useing the 50 cal action for the 408 or what ever round i pick what would happen to the bolt face

Dave here from Viersco.com

So if you use the 50cal action, are you going to have the bolt face welded up and recut so you can use the 408 case? Sounds like a lot of work on an expensive action. I am working on another wildcat right now, it involves the .577 T-Rex case from A-Square, necking it down to 408 or to .510 BMG bullets. It will push the 750 grn bullet 2400-2600 fps. Thats darn near the same as a BMG! Im guessing this would be legal in the states with the BMG laws. The cases are double the cost of 408 brass, but who here putts a price tag on a good time????

Take care all.

I have three prints here of my design for the 577 trex case. A 30 cal version, 338 cal and 375 cal version. Case length is 2.75 inches, 35 degree shoulder and .010 body taper.
Should net about 140~165 grains of water.
I've got a 40 in pacnor barrel here for the 30 cal and am going to be getting a 40 in 338 barrel. I got a quote from a brass making company out of Penn I believe, 12.50 a piece for the brass already formed to my dimensions, a bit more than the 408 cases cost. 400 dollars set-up cost 150 for correct headstamp if you want it stamped with the name and 12.50 a piece. So all together for one run of 10 pieces 675.00, and who says this sport aint expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If anyone has the dough please feel free to experiment.
I think I am going to just lathe turn some cases and make my own at that cost.
Its bascially a huge wsm case.
Dave

Talk to them about getting them sized to a custom dimension and head stamped for your named wildcat, I can garuntee you they wont be 4.50 a piece.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.