Anybody have experience with the 270-300 Win Mag?

sambo3006

I am considering this cartridge and wondering if anyone has info on velocity and best powders. Thanks! Sam

Yes it is, but the case length is slightly longer and the shoulder is farther forward due to the short neck of the 300WM. I'm looking at this because .277 caliber is the only slot I have unfilled right now (I have a .264 Win Mag and love it), and I don't want to go with the 270 Wby due to the freebore. You can get a chamber reamed with short throat, but then you can't fire factory ammo in it. I would rather load for the wildcat with standard throat. It will have greater case capacity than the Wby and should outperform it.

I'll look it up later in one of my books. What are you planning to do with it? I have two .277 cal. guns one with a 26 and the other a 29 inch target barrel. For long range the 169.5 grain Wildcat bullets would be the best. Kirby Allen on this makes a line up of "Allen Mags" He would be the very knowledgable on the correct twists

Why not go w/the 270 AM? Mine has exeeded my expectations. It has proven to be very accurate and user friendly. With the big Wildcat bullets, there is not much (other than some of Kirby's other creations!!!) that can touch it ballistcally.

I have been corresponding with Kirby and he will be the one to do the work. I have a Winchester 70 classic currently chambered in 338 win mag (bought a 338RUM which is why this one will be rebarreled). It is not long enough to do the 270AM and be a repeater. He has the 270 Allen Express which is shorter, but I don't want to pay $30 for 20 pieces of 300 Dakota brass. I tend to lose brass if I fire multiple shots and that could get pricy in a hurry. This round should work nicely and fit in between the 270 Wby and the 270 AX with easy case forming and cheap brass. I plan to shoot 140 or 150 gr bullets. If I go with this round and can't find data, I can work up my own, but I'd rather have some place to start.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to pay $30 for 20 pieces of 300 Dakota brass. I tend to lose brass if I fire multiple shots and that could get pricy in a hurry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand your concern on the cost here. However you might think it over, when you step up to this level of cartridge, your not going to be blazing away at something. If your shooting the best made bullets, when they hit whatever you put them on, it is definately going to stop most if not all forward progress. Besides your more likely to loose the cases due to load development over dropping them in the grass anyway. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, but if your ordering it from basically scratch, might as well get all you can from it.

Also going with the faster twist barrel, you can still shoot the weights you noted, but would also have the option of stepping up to the heavier weights for the longer ranges or bigger game in the future and you would have pleanty of horsepower to push them along.

I however, made a similar choice as you going with the .270 AM over the 7mm AM. I read everything that was posted on them both for a year before I finially made the decision to go with the 270. The overall decision maker was also economy. I simply had more bullets in 277 that I would never shoot in my standard Win. plus the 7 mm RUM cases were easily attainable as well as in my price range.

Either way, I am sure you won't be disappointed in the final product. Good luck and happy shooting.

I have thought in the about 270/300 Win. in the past. I think it would make a great cartridge. Good supply of brass, easy neck-down, and would work better in a short(er) action than the 300 Win. Always liked the idea of a 270 mag., but do not care for the Wby's oe WSM's. I also like the 270 Ackely, or a 270 H&H (as is, no improving)on a long action.

My action is not long enough for the 270AM or the STW if used as a repeater. Since it is controlled feed, single shot is not practical if you want to be able to fire extra shots. I'll have to think about this. The 270AM ballistics are awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.