anybody got a 6-284 115 g starting point

eddybo

I was thinking rl22 but saw where some were having luck with retumbo and the 115s. They are claiming 59+ grains as the load. Seems like a lot of slow powder to me. Does it sound out of the ball park. Anybody got any experiance with retumbo with the 6x284.

I wouldnt try that load....found a load in the hodgdon annual lists from 47 to 50g of retumbo for a 115. I got heavy bolt lift around 51.5 then backed off to 49.7. Shoots pretty good around 1/2 MOA at 200(every shot from a clean barrel. I think there are probably better powders out there because I am only getting around 60% case fill. Anyone have a pet load with 115 bergers?

eddy

in my 6-284 my starting load was 55 grains retumbo with the new 117 dtac. I have had the 107's siting on 59 grains before but that was a little hot. each rifle is different.

d-a

Thank you for the info D-A. I was flattening primers and had a slightly heavy bolt lift at a pretty low load. I at first just attributed it to a tight barrel with fast twist, but I think I have figured out the problem. I wasnt running the cases through an expander mandrel after I necked them down with a 272 bushing. They didnt feel that tight when I was loading them, but I guess they were pretty tight. I discovered how tight they were when I tried to pull a bullet to check a charge. I will retry the retumbo as it was the most accurate load I tried today, but could only squeeze 2800 out of it w/o pressure signs.

Thanks again for the info. I worked up to it, this time running my cases through an expander mandrel after sizing. Then I worked past it a little, no pressure signs whatsoever up to 97. I had only loaded up to this level and think that it could go further, but think I found a good candidate around 96.2.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.