anybody fooled around with a wild rangefinder?

goodgrouper

I was recently noticing on a wild rangefinder that on the meter eyepiece, it is very touchy in the 1300-1390 meters section. In other words, it was very easy to line up your target at 1300 or 1390 or anything in-between. It makes me wonder how many guys are in the vha 1500 yard club when in reality they may have been a few yards short. It just so happens that you need 1371 meters to get 1500 yards. Has anyone else noticed this or have any answers? thanks.

You are absolutely right. The wild rangefinder has a measurement error around 2% at ranges under 2km and up to 5% when you get to 20km. Right in the manual.

As good as it is, you are still using your eye to judge when things line up. Throw in the usual error in all measuring devices and 2% is pretty darn good. Odds are 25 to 50m of error is well within specs, at that range.

Have you corrected the wild for your eyes?

The only way to know more accurately is to use a surveying GPS, fixed line, or Russian laser rangefinder.

The best way to know that you have reached 1500yds is simply to shoot further then 1500yds.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for the post. I am glad someone else has noticed this. Yes, I have corrected the instrument for my eyes and calibrated it with the supplied method. What is weird is that for 2000 yards(which is my next attempt) the distance meter is more forgiving and allows more space in-between the lines. I think it will be easier to tell if something is truly 2000 yards away than it is for 1500. By the way, what are the Russian laser rangefinders you mentioned and were can I get one?
-goodgrouper

Ex-Russian military range finders. Not eye safe and apparently on the US bad list of stuff. DC on this board had brought in a few and might have one kicking around for sale. Were 3 to 4000US.

They work very well in all weather conditions but there are liability issues to their use. You should contact DC for more info.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.