ANYBODY ever use Howa Axiom M1500 Axiom Varminter Bolt Action Rifle

superlite17

Anybody ever use the Legacy Sports Intl|Howa? This is a really interesting rifle and that Adjustable Black Knoxx SpecOps Stock sure looks clean and adjustable for any shooting situation.

Lotta money... for somthing i cannot put my hands on and nobody has ever touched or shot!

Thanks ALL - Rod

Two of my hunting buddy own one-both in 308. One shoot well and the other, well, it needed some work. I have a sporter in 338 Winchester Magnum and it's a shooter.

Amen to Catshooters reply.I can appreciate wanting to get the best shooting platform to fit within your budget, however were talking rifles that retail under $500.00.I mean no disrespect,but I say buy whichever YOU prefer and quit sweating the details.Both the Remington and the Savage have fine reputations for out of the box accuracy,and will serve you well.Either rifle in .22-250 would be a tackdriver,as most rifles in this chambering are.The most important thing is time afield,get out there and enjoy your new rifle.

Jason

Desert Fox, are these Howa actions, triggers, barrels, etc as good as the Savage/Remingtons? They look REAL nice, but i have never even heard of them.

Thanks - Rod

The factory trigger on the Howa is alright but inferior to Remington or the new Savage but, Timney makes an aftermarket trigger. The action on the other hand is smooth and IMO, superior to the Savage, or Remington for that matter. The cut rifled barrel is even better than Remington or the Savage. My 338 have a sporter contour barrel. It's smooth and easy to clean. Hope this will help you. Goodluck

I bought one. Action is smooth, groups are tight, recoil is light. Changed the trigger out to a timney. I own a remington and a savage. I wouldn't say neither is better than the other, although my .308 howa shoots tighter groups.

Just bought one in .223 Wednesday, went out and shot it today. I have always been a Remington fan but this gun rivals my 700 BDL varmint the way it shoots. Wasn't too crazy about the 1-12 twist but it shoots ragged holes with 40 and 53 grain bullets. I would recommend them to anyone. Can't wait to bust a yote with that gun.gun)

I've heard that Howa makes the barrelled actions for Weatherby Vanguard and S&W 1500 among others.

I bought a Sub-Moa Vanguard brand new and found that it wouldn't shoot for beans until I glass-bedded the action. Now it cuts holes at 100 yards when I do my part and keep the loads under 2900 fps.

Currently I an trying to get some 150 SGKs or 154 Hornadys up to 3200 fps without splattering the group all over the target.

JM.02

Weatherby makes the action for the axiom, but I don't know who makes the barrels. I had a Weatherby Sub-Moa in 308 and it would not print under 1.5 with any load I put through it. So I sold it and bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, had the barrel cut down to 22" from 26 and recrowned it, and it shoots 3/8" to 5/8 groups depending on the load. The Axiom I bought has the 20" barrel and composite stock and loves 40gr bt and 53gr hp. I had to do some adjusting on the trigger, but its crisp and light now, about 2.5 lbs no creep.gun)

The howa trigger ( at least on mine) breaks like a glass rod. It has ZERO creep. The problem is that its a lawyer proof trigger that breaks at around 5 pounds. its saving grace is that it is easily user adjustable for both pull weight and sear engagement. I would suggest you leave the sear engagement alone and lower the pull weight to around 2.5 pounds or so.

i use the howa 1500 in 22-250 with 3-9 leupold scope for coyote gun, and carry it in my ranch truck 24-7 , with a little trigger ajustment, it does a great job. i also have a 243- with the same set up, for the price they are as good as any thing on the market, and ive tryed almost every thing.gun)

I sold the Axiom and bought a Savage Predator .223. I didn't like the the stock on the Howa. Could not get it to fit my length of pull, and the cheek rest would bruise my cheek after a while of shooting. The Savage is a lot more comfortable to shoot and is a 1/4" gun with loads from 40gr to 69gr. Savage has some of the most out-of-box accurate rifles on the market today. For the money they are a great buy. The accu-trigger on the savage is as good as those expensive aftermarket ones or better. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.