Any suggestions on hunting wolves in the canadian bush?

188MULE

wolf2.jpgJust got back from a Manitoba whitetail hunt that was ruined by wolves. The night before we got there the outfitter had TC pics of four bruisers within 300 yards of his cabin. An hour and a half later his Brother and nephew were on the same Trail cam going to their stand. On the third day two wolves killed a doe with in 500 yards of the cabin with the carcass stripped within 40 yards of a road. The deer vacated the area and it took a couple of days to find them and set new stands. We were hunting a very large area of bush adjacent to farm fields mixed with bush that the outfitter owns.

I have the option to continue to return to this area to hunt with this outfitter. We all agreed that the wolves have and will ruin his whitetail outfitting business. Manitoba allows a hunter to havest two wolves and one coyote on their deer tag in this unit.
I told my outfitter if he could find a way to kill these wolves I'd come up every year just to hunt wolves.

Right now it is rare for anyone to see let alone kill one in all that bush. They can not bait.

Any suggestion on hunting methods for the big bush would be great.

I was lucky enough to kill a wolf while up there. A 60 pound female. Very rare for an American to kill one. Now I am hooked and would like to increase my odds for next time.

Last edited:
congrats on the wolf! sorry to here about your deer hunt though.I live in west central Alberta and we have big wolf problems here. We are allowed to bait, but some of the tatics cross over. wait until the snow is deep enough that they have trouble traveling in it, then they stick to roads and really well worn trails. you can even snow shovel a path to a carcass if your outfitter can locate one. The other thing Ive heard of is using a coyote imitation call... they hate yotes. I havent killed one myself as this is my first year in Alberta, but thats what everone is saying that hunts them around here.

I DO not know the regulations in either province. i have the time( jan? feb? march? ) and money to hunt them . i need to shoot at least two or more. PM me. roninflag.

roninflag,
I believe the only time a NonRes can hunt them is during the rifle deer season on that tag but I'll have to check.

Hey Mule...
Where abouts in Manitoba were you hunting?

You're correct on the backwards hunting regs here... Non reisdents are only alowed to harvest one wolf and one yote on the big game tag they are hunting on... The wording is pretty vague in the manual but from how I read it you are allowed to Harvest one if u possess an unused big game tag

From the website....

Big Game Hunting
Gray Wolf and Coyote
Licences
Gray wolves and coyotes can be hunted under the authority of any big game licence, and as such, there are no tagging requirements. The hunter's big game licence number is all that is required to possess a wolf or coyote taken under the authority of that licence. Hunters are reminded that the tag affixed to a big game licence (bear, deer, moose, elk, or caribou) must be used for that big game species (bear, deer, moose, elk or caribou).
Resident

A resident may hunt gray wolves and coyotes during the wolf and coyote season if they possess any big game hunting licence for the current licence year. However, if hunting in a GHA while the area is open to deer, elk, moose, black bear or caribou hunting, the wolf or coyote hunter must have an unused deer, elk, moose, black bear or caribou game tag (personal or party), which is valid for that area, species and time period. Where the deer, elk, moose, black bear or caribou hunting seasons are closed, a resident may hunt wolves or coyotes provided he/she is in possession of a used or unused deer, elk, moose, black bear or caribou licence.

Non-resident and Foreign Resident

A non-resident and a foreign resident may hunt gray wolves and coyotes during the wolf and coyote season only if they possess an unused deer, moose, black bear or caribou game tag (personal or party), which is valid for that area, species and time period.
Foreign resident gray wolf and coyote hunters must be accompanied by a licensed Manitoba guide. No more than three hunters may use the services of a guide at the same time.
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) export permits are required before transporting a gray wolf out of Canada.

I wish the the morons in charge the department of conservation of this province would remove their heads from their a$$es, realize that the wolf and coyote populations are getting out of hand and let us do something about it! Instead of letting deer population get wiped out then let the predators slowly die of starvation and mange...
Sometimes it seems like the CO's are more concerned with stopping guys from hunting then doing what they should be doing, ensuring a healthy/stable population in our game animals....

Sorry for the long post.... Rant off....

Orch

Orch, we were hunting the eastern edge of the duck mountains. In that unit I believe that we were allowed 2 wolves and one coyote. But, correct me if I am wrong.
We were checked by the conservation officers while up there, both were freindly and easy to talk too. I never felt like they were assuming I was a criminal poacher like in the states. It does appear very clearly that in that area thay need to take control of not only the wolves but the over hunting by a specific group of the population.

Hey there....
Could very well be 2 wolves in that area under a guide (they probably have some special rules and exceptions for guided hunts that they don't publish in the regular hunting regulations book)
I don't understand why they can't make it a little easier for non-residents to hunt wolves and coyotes up here... Maybe open a separate guided wolf and coyote tag up for non-residents with a higher bag limit, say more than one wolf and unlimited coyotes for the whole fur season instead of just tying it to a three week unused big game tag.... But who am I kidding? That would make too much sense considering the growing popularity of predator hunting and the over abundance of K9s we have right now!

I'm a manitoba resident and have my trappers permit so I'm good to go for as many yotes and wolves as I can get ( just limited by my skills as a hunter I suppose)

Anyways my buddy guides in that exact same area you were in, next time I see him I'll have to get the low down on the wolf problem up there. I know he was wackin the coyote population pretty good up there this fall....

What was the name of the outfitter you were with... I forget the name of the one he is with but it could have been the same one.....

Good to hear you had a good experience with the wardens up there.... I'm down in the south bout 20 min from the north Dakota border and at times the wardens here treat us like criminal poachers... And there is also a specific group of the population down here that tend to be hard on the deer population... However our trouble makers tend to be of German heritage

Orch

I did have a conversation with one of the wardens about the baiting issue. When he saw we were from ND he quickly asked about our baiting laws. We can bait deer in ND. He was pretty sure that all of our deer were going to die because we were unnaturally attracting deer to one spot. This will cause diseases to spread like wildfire. I let him know that during the winters deer naturally congregate near food sources and for protection. I also let him know that deer are social animals and I often see them touching eachother and cleaning eachother during every season. I have witnessed hundreds of deer in very small areas during the winter months in ND. I do bait, but have no problem if I could not. But I wish they would give their real reason for not allowing it. We have people In ND that want baiting banned, they give the same reasons. One thing I heard while in Manitoba was that if a field has alfalfa bales on it at the start of deer season that the province can post that field NO HUNTING. Their stating that if you hunt this field you are hunting over bait. Now, if they were really worried about deer unnaturally coming to one place they should put a sign up stating OPEN TO ALL HUNTERS. This would allow hunters to harvest these dirty little critters before they could bunch up in this field unnatturally, thus stopping a disease catastrophe. Or they could just let the wolf & coyote population destroy they deer/elk/moose populations so they don't need to let anyone hunt.

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to baiting! Seems people that whine about baiting causing "unnatural" congregations of deer obviously have never spent anytime actually observing deer behavior! And that's even scarier when I hear that crap from a freeking warden!

The scary thing is, with that mindset a warden could argue that all of the deer I have shot on my family's standing alfalfa fields were "baited". The even scarier thought is that if a warden were so inclined to charge a hunter for that, the hunter would be screwed!

Orch

I would also rather shoot a wolf than a 170" whitetail. The scariest part to me is that they have the ability to post PRIVATE property.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts