Any suggestions for getting Sciroccos to shoot in 300 WSM?

GlennRMK

Would like to use 180 gr Sciroccos in my 300 WSM for this hunting season.

I have a Remington 700 CDL Stainless Fluted with an HS Precision stock. Also has Sako extractor installed with a Monarch 5-20 scope.

I am currently shooting Hornady 180 gr SSTs but am not overly confident with them. Should be fine Black bear and deer but have doubts about using them on elk. Especially in the shoulder. I am using the SSTs because they seem to shoot the best by far. Have shot groups as small as .2" with them and 68 gr IMR 4831 @ 3080 fps.

I am also debating shooting 165 Accubonds @ 3120 fps with a load I worked that shot about .7".

However I have been unable to get the Sciroccos to shoot at all. Best group I shot was with 71 gr RL22 which was about 1" but couldn't reproduce it.

Also I am unable to get the bullets any closer to the lands than .080" due to magazine clearence.

Any suggestions for components to use? I usually use the Fed 215M primers and Winchester cases.

I have the following primers

CCI 250
Fed 215M
Fed 210M
BR2
CCI 200
WLR
WLRM

I have the following powders
RL15, 17, 19, 22
N550, 560
IMR 4350, 4831, 7828 SSC, 4007 SSC
Varget, H4831SC, Hybrid
AA4350
Hunter

I have a few Norma cases if that is preferred.

I usually trim to 2.092" and neck size

I have lots of stuff but have been unsuccesful getting these to shoot.

If magazine length is a constraint, try the Barnes TSX or TippedTSX. I load VV N550 and the 168TSX at 3140 and they shoot great at the recommended .050 or more jump. I know the BC doesn't look as good, but it doesn't change the drop more than an inch at 400 yd. And as good as they shoot, you should be able to hit at those ranges! Try N550 at 60-63 gr, it generally works better the higher you go, so pay attention to pressure signs.

I own two rifles in 300WSM, a Winchester Model 70 Coyote, and a Ruger Mark II. I have loaded the Winchester since 2001 so I have had some experience with it using many different bullets and powders. I agree with what RJ338 said. All though I have not tried the Sciroccos in 300WSM I have tried them in my 270 WSM and I was never able to get them to shoot up to my standard for accuracy. I have been able to get both Barnes TSX and Barnes TTSX to shoot great in both of my 300WSM guns, and as RJ338 stated you don't have to get them close to the lands to get them to shoot well. I think that is the problem with the Sciroccos, they are particular about how close they are to the lands.

I am headed to Wy. in Oct for elk. I will be carring my Ruger Mark II loaded with 168 TTSX bullets and either 60.5 grains of N550 or 64.7 grains of RL-17. I load the rounds in Norma cases and use WLRM primers for the N550 load and Fed 215 for the RL-17 load. Neither of these loads are max., both loads produce about 3000 ft/sec.. I chose to load them just below the max., however I have moved the N550 up to 63.0 grains and this produced over 3100 ft/sec as RJ338 said he was getting.

My advise would be get some Barnes TTSX bullets and load them with either N550 or RL-17 in Norma cases .050 off the lands and I think you will be happy shooting them at both targets and game.

My friend has a 7mm stw and 30-378, both weatherby rifles and the only way they could get them to group was to bury the bullets. .040-.055 repectfully. Also they measured groups at 200 yards. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Anyone have any feedback with elk or moose or bigger game and the SSTs?

They shoot so well I may have to shoot something to see how they hold up.

I tried 180 Accubond and had similar results to the Sciroccos. Same scenario as far as being pretty far off the lands.

I can get Interbonds close to the lands but they don't shoot as well as the SSTs. However they shoot much better then the Sciroccos or Accubonds.

The Sierra Gamekings seem to shoot descent but again aren't known for being very tough.

Barnes is about the only thing I haven't tried. Mostly because I do a lot of target shooting and they are expensive. $38 for 50 Barnes vs $29 for 100 SSTs.

I also wish you could get the Trophy Bonded tip bullets as components.

If you think the Sierra's are soft then the SST's aren't for you! They are known to open up much like the early Ballistic Tips. Great for smaller game or broadside shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.