Any suggestions for a free-range Aoudad?

Scott S

The Aoudad will have to be my "big horn sheep" so I was wondering if any of you Texas folks (or anyone from other states) could suggest some reputable outfitters? I've seen hunts from $2500 to $6000. Some have the 'trophy fee' with a $250 daily charge while others are a flat cost. I would prefer someone with a flat rate cost around $2500-$3000. That may be limiting be choice of outfitters but I just can't pay $4000, $5000, $6000 for an Aoudad.

Thanks!

Scott

What do you mean by "free range"?

If you mean on a really big ranch that has a high fence around it, that can be done fairly easily for your price. If you mean out on public land running loose amidst the thousands of truck hunters, I do not know if that is available in Texas. It can be done elsewhere, but as all public lands hunts, it is questionable what the success will be.

We went to the Diamond A ranch for a pig hunt and my son shot this Aoudad. It is mostly animals coming to feeders while you sit in a blind. They might let you stalk hunt. They promised us we could if we came back. The animals are nervous creatures and very spooky. We did not know much about judging animal size and so after a long time of seeing little ones we shot this one which was the biggest we saw.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f56/diamond-ranch-25273/#post204669

auodad2.jpg

Free Range just means that they are not in a high fence or have been purchased at the auction and turned loose. Either of those though is going to involve a high fence. If anyone needs a place to hunt let me know and I can point you in many directions.

I have a Freind that's an outfitter in Delrio tx the ranch is 42000 acers lots of big aldads a few 30 inchers send me an e mail to [email protected] u can also combo whitetail and black buck antelope and three does for price range you are talking about

I have 30000 ac out in west texas by Marfa / FT Davis that we are going to run hunts on this spring for audad we have some really big ones 30" plus we shot one this year that was 32" But its not a eze hunt you need as much time as you can get. A week would be nice. If your wanting a real sheep hunt then look in to hunting in New Mexico there is alot of free ranging aoudad there and you will have to work your ***$$ off to get one.

Last edited:
The up side to all those fires is that a lot of the game has been pushed toward Mike's ranches. So, if i were you I would try and book with Mike now before everyone else realizes that if they want to hunt they have to get a ranch thats not burned. For example...Mikes.lightbulb

I too hunted with Mike a few years back when he was offering his "introductory" pricing. It was a heck of a deal, I asked him why his prices went up so much and he said it wasn't him but his lease fees raising. Oh well some of the best sheep hunting for aoudad in west Texas IMO.

Still though he has tons of 30" plus sheep on his site and his most expensive hunt is still under $3K no hidden fees, no BS type of guy.

I may go on his CDP hunt early next year, its only $1750 and the most affordable free range hunt in west Texas I could find.

www.westtexashuntorg.com

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.