Any spotter under $500 usable? Nikon/Minox?

Cutty

Are there any spotting scopes under $500 that I'm not immediately going to wish I had spent a grand on a swaro or Leica? What about Nikon or Minox? I've got a pair of Minox bino's 9.5 x 40's and while their light transmission isn't quite what I would like, their clarity is exceptional...especially since I got them for $350.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any spotting scopes under $500 that I'm not immediately going to wish I had spent a grand on a swaro or Leica? What about Nikon or Minox? I've got a pair of Minox bino's 9.5 x 40's and while their light transmission isn't quite what I would like, their clarity is exceptional...especially since I got them for $350.

[/ QUOTE ]

This outfit impressed me.
Nikon

Maybe Jon from TOZ could elaborate more..sakofan..

I have used this Nikon Spotter XL for a number of years. For a hunting spotting scope, very happy. You loose some resolution at the very highest mag but most spotters will anyways.

Great low light and awesome resolution. When mirage is nil to light, I can spot 30cal holes on a white piece of paper at 650yds.

If this is mainly for glassing, consider the new Nikon EX binos. I just picked up a 12X50 and wow am I impressed. For glassing game under 1000yds, I think these are ideal. Glassing to 2km is still good but you loose crispness on small branches and such.

Do a search at etronics and cameraandelectronics. The price will blow your mind.
Jerry

I use the Nikon for hunting and am very pleased. It is compact and light weight. I don't consider leaving it behind when I leave camp in the A.M.,like my old heavy spotting scope. If I were buying a scope that I would not be hauling around all day on my back I would spend $$$ and get the Swarovski.

My $.02
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.